Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alvan_gw

What plant is this and what is the upkeep for it?

Alvan
10 years ago

I was wondering what plant is in the pic (the one zoomed in) I know his is probably a 101 question b/c I see these bushes everywhere, but I'm a newbie :) I'm wondering what plant it is and what care it needs. I worry that they will get too big-they are planted next to Asparagus ferns that are growing like weeds! My thought is to pull the Asparagus ferns up and out and leave some space for these bushes, but I still don't want them getting too huge. Can I just keep them pruned all year? Do I prune only in the fall? Does it look like I need to move them since they will get really big? They are right by my front door...I'll post a second pic that shows the asparagus ferns in another post-I can't seem to post 2 pics in one post.
Thanks!

Comments (13)

• Alvan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the 2nd pic showing the larger area...you can see the asparagus ferns and the size of the bushes I'm asking about.
    Thank You!

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Wheeler's dwarf Pittosporum would be a perfect fit in that location. Unfortunately it looks like they used standard ones instead.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Is that A-fern under the palm tree also?

• Alvan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Purpleinopp-gulp. Yes A-ferns there too. In Florida they are considered weeds :-( Maybe replace both areas with more spaced out spikey plants, say a contrasting green color-I've seen some that are a pretty light green and white contrast on the leaves. (Again, don't know the name!) Maybe these as a replcement?
    As you can see from the 2nd picture, the Pittosporum (Thanks for the info Saltcedar!) and A-ferns are next to each other and all under a short palm that looks pretty unhealthy--tips are brown. Also need to figure out what to do with that. Don't want to spend a ton and want to do as much as I can myself, but I'm new at this! (Any tips on how to save the short palm in the pic are appreciated too!) There is one on the other side of the walkway that is the same type but looks much fuller and healthier. May just need to be replaced-- like to know if there is any way to make it sprout some further down the trunk to match the other palm would be appreciated :)

• Alvan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Umm...one more? Does anyone know what this is? It looks overdue for a trim but I'm not sure when it needs to be done...
    Thanks!

10 years ago

I'm afraid to ask, but is there landscape fabric under the mulch in this whole landscape?

Blue flowers are Plumbago.

• Alvan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No landscape fabric. Do you know when I need to cut back the plumbago?
    Thanks for all of the help!

• Alvan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No landscape fabric...

10 years ago

I don't know Plumbago that well, somebody will, if you don't find the info in a discussion in perennial forum already. That's where I would look.

Palms, also not something I can advise about, but did see the question. Probably not enough of it visible in that pic for anybody to say much. Nor am I familiar with the shrubs, or their possible eventual height/girth.

So glad there's no landscape fabric!!

Going back to your post in southern gardening with further comments about the a-fern and general area thing.

• florauk
    10 years ago

The Plumbago is Plumbago auriculata. It's a rambling shrub rather than a perennial.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cape Leadwort

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Pruning is PRN on plumbago. Here in Central Texas it's a herbaceous perennial so we cut it to the ground in Spring, in most of Florida pruning is to control size.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 17:43

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Trachycarpus will develop a full head over time. Unless it has salt damage or other physiologic problems it should recover. They are very slow growing.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you have your IDs ... and some very helpful base knowledge ...

now would be the time to find the LANDSCAPE .. perennial ... annual and shrub forums ...

ken

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022