Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID without a picture?

Posted by Desirai 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 11:42

Hey all, recently in some of the yards around town I have been noticing these plants that I absolutely need. I don't have a picture because I've been seeing them while driving.

I will try my best to describe them.

They look very tall, taller than me. Maybe 6 feet. But that could be because of the distance.

The leaves look similar to maple or poplar leaves, they are green and red. Not really variegated, kind of like red fading to green. It could be because of temperature, but I'm not sure.

On the tops of plant are the "flowers" I'm assuming. They are big clusters of puffs! They look like they'd be really soft.

Do any of you have ANY idea what I'm talking about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID without a picture?

Oops I forgot to say the puffs of flowers are BRIGHT RED.. :)

o

Could you be seeing crepe myrtles? Really it is impossible to know without a picture, but I suggest this because my husband always has a similar reaction on seeing crepe myrtles, and never remembers what they are called. They are quite popular, so would be all over town. :)

If I remember correctly, the foliage does turn in this part of the country in fall (I'm 7a)

o

Maybe a variety of smoke tree (Cotinus)? Leaves don't really look like maple though and I'm not sure what time of year they bloom.

o

Clerodendrum bungei ? Flower buds are red, then flowers are pink.
link below is a variegated form.

Here is a link that might be useful: PinkDiamond Clerodendrum

o

Nope, not a crepe myrtle (I have those), nor a smoke tree, no clerodendrum.

o
found it!!!!

With the help of some gardening friends on facebook, I found it!! It's a castor oil plant! What I thought were red flowers were red seedpods.

o

Ricinus communis?

o

Yes! That's exactly it. :)

o

Oh - you got it just as I was posting! I'm going to give myself the point all the same ;-)

o

floral uk >> you absolutely deserve a point for that one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here