Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f27tw

Is This a FIG?

F27TW
10 years ago

Cleaning our patio today and spotted this growing behind my A/C unit! I say its a fig ... or is it a weed?

And if it is a fig, what do I do next? Dig it up and bring it inside? Leave it out ?

Thanks for any help! If it is a fig, I'd really love to make it grow!

Comments (16)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Too close to the house. Needs to be pulled or moved.

• F27TW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely gonna pull it up. pot it up and bring it inside for the winter . .. so u think it Is a fig ?

• florauk
    10 years ago

Carol23 has told you the name, Liriodendron tulipifera aka Tulip Tree or Tulip Poplar. It's a bone hardy deciduous tree - no need to bring it in for the winter. esh_ga was just adding useful info, not contradicting carol23's id.

• F27TW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no its not. I looked up that tulip tree and the leaves look nothing like that.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Did you look up Tulip Tree or did you look up Liriodendron tulipifera? Tulip Tree is also used for some Magnolias. That's why it's best to use botanical names. I assure you that the plant in your picture is Liriodendron tulipifera. It's unmistakeable. If you choose not to believe us that's your choice. But you'll be waiting an awful long time for figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liriodendron tulipifera

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I have no horse in this race but I find it a little offensive when someone posts here requesting an ID and when the plant is clearly and unmistakably identified, argues with it. If you know, why bother to post?? If you don't know, accept that some of these folks, who are indeed experts at this stuff, might just know what they are talking about :-)

But you'll be waiting an awful long time for figs. --ROFL!!

• F27TW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THIS is the Liriodendron tulipifera plant .... my leaves are more rounded ... these are pointy.

And no need to be so nasty .... jeez .. u garden experts can get testy!

• Mod317 (Zone 5a - SW Ontario)
    10 years ago

This is a Liriodendron tulipifera leaf as well. This photo was taken from the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liriodendron tuliperifera

• User
    10 years ago

The leaves of Lireodendron are somewhat variable in shape. Have a look at the link I have provided to see a photo that is like your tree.

If your tree was a fig, it would have sandpapery textured leaves and would have milky sap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lireodendron leaf.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I have several tulip poplars down by the creek. And I also have two fig trees with luscious, fat figs.

F27TW, the seedling you have is most assuredly a tulip poplar.

• F27TW
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok ... I guess I believe its not a fig .... but I;m bummed because I was really excited for a fig!

Oh well! :(

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Figs are not hard to come by .... You can easily order one or ask for a cutting from someone that has one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig plants from cuttings

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Raintree Nursery will sell you many fig varieties mail order (this is only the first page):
    http://www.raintreenursery.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I got my figs from Lowe's some years back ... haven't seen any since then, though (there or elsewhere). You might call local nurseries to see if they carry them, and what time of year.

If you're in a colder zone, make sure to buy a variety which will survive the winter in your zone. I planted my figs about 4' from the house because I was worried by winter freezes; they lose a few buds each winter, and sometimes a few inches of wood, but that's nothing ... despite severe pruning (from me) they are still increasing in size exponentially, and would be over 20' tall if I hadn't pruned them.

• aswhad
    10 years ago

Maybe the the Chinese Tulip Tree...

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK