Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is This a FIG?

Posted by F27TW CT (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 11:43

Cleaning our patio today and spotted this growing behind my A/C unit! I say its a fig ... or is it a weed?

And if it is a fig, what do I do next? Dig it up and bring it inside? Leave it out ?

Thanks for any help! If it is a fig, I'd really love to make it grow!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is This a FIG?

Tulip tree, Liriodendron tulipifera.

o

Too close to the house. Needs to be pulled or moved.

o

Definitely gonna pull it up. pot it up and bring it inside for the winter . .. so u think it Is a fig ?

o

Carol23 has told you the name, Liriodendron tulipifera aka Tulip Tree or Tulip Poplar. It's a bone hardy deciduous tree - no need to bring it in for the winter. esh_ga was just adding useful info, not contradicting carol23's id.

o

no its not. I looked up that tulip tree and the leaves look nothing like that.

o

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make 'em drink.

o

Did you look up Tulip Tree or did you look up Liriodendron tulipifera? Tulip Tree is also used for some Magnolias. That's why it's best to use botanical names. I assure you that the plant in your picture is Liriodendron tulipifera. It's unmistakeable. If you choose not to believe us that's your choice. But you'll be waiting an awful long time for figs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liriodendron tulipifera

o

I have no horse in this race but I find it a little offensive when someone posts here requesting an ID and when the plant is clearly and unmistakably identified, argues with it. If you know, why bother to post?? If you don't know, accept that some of these folks, who are indeed experts at this stuff, might just know what they are talking about :-)

But you'll be waiting an awful long time for figs. --ROFL!!

o

THIS is the Liriodendron tulipifera plant .... my leaves are more rounded ... these are pointy.

And no need to be so nasty .... jeez .. u garden experts can get testy!

o

This is a Liriodendron tulipifera leaf as well. This photo was taken from the website below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Liriodendron tuliperifera

o

• Posted by deejaus Temperate Aust. (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 16:27

The leaves of Lireodendron are somewhat variable in shape. Have a look at the link I have provided to see a photo that is like your tree.

If your tree was a fig, it would have sandpapery textured leaves and would have milky sap.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lireodendron leaf.

o

I have several tulip poplars down by the creek. And I also have two fig trees with luscious, fat figs.

F27TW, the seedling you have is most assuredly a tulip poplar.

o

Ok ... I guess I believe its not a fig .... but I;m bummed because I was really excited for a fig!

Oh well! :(

o

Figs are not hard to come by .... You can easily order one or ask for a cutting from someone that has one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fig plants from cuttings

o

Raintree Nursery will sell you many fig varieties mail order (this is only the first page):
http://www.raintreenursery.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1

I got my figs from Lowe's some years back ... haven't seen any since then, though (there or elsewhere). You might call local nurseries to see if they carry them, and what time of year.

If you're in a colder zone, make sure to buy a variety which will survive the winter in your zone. I planted my figs about 4' from the house because I was worried by winter freezes; they lose a few buds each winter, and sometimes a few inches of wood, but that's nothing ... despite severe pruning (from me) they are still increasing in size exponentially, and would be over 20' tall if I hadn't pruned them.

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 13:45

Maybe the the Chinese Tulip Tree...

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here