Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cajunbadger_gw

Need the name to know how to care for it!

cajunbadger
10 years ago

Was just given this plant and not sure what kind of care it requires. Thinking it should be pretty easy to id, so hope someone can help. Thanks!

Comments (11)

• dryadella
    10 years ago

Guzmania

Rgds

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Likes high indirect light to filtered sun. Keep water in crown, and let the roots dry between watering.
    Can be planted outdoors in frost free climates in rich, mulchy soils or used as an epiphyte, as in grown in the crotch of a tree c sphagnum moss around the roots.

• cajunbadger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! Will do a bit a reading and get it transplanted soon :-)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Good luck:)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

LA is kind of vague ... as the two are separated by a couple thousand miles.. and are seriously divergent in climates ..

CA or the bayou???? .. it might matter ...

ken

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

cajunbadger is the poster. Things cajun are normally identified with LA, Louisiana.

• cajunbadger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lol, yes as Carol23 alluded to, an ex Badger (from Wisconsin) now living Louisiana. I looked at the profile page and all it asks/shows is one's state. I did add my zone so that should help!

Again thanks all - this is the best set of forums :-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

oops.. lol...

first hing i saw this morning was Cajun .... wonder how i missed it yesterday ... lol

are you repotting.. or putting it outside???

ken

• cajunbadger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just read a bit more about care, etc. I plan on repotting rather than planting in the ground. At the moment it's under my large covered carport/sitting area. Towards the winter months, our temps can dip to the low 40's, upper 30's. Sounds like I'll need to bring it inside once temps start getting into the 50's at night?

• gyr_falcon
    10 years ago

I would not bother repotting unless it shows signs of making pups. The roots are mainly an anchor for the plant; if top-heavy, just place the current pot inside a heavier one to keep the plant from tipping over. After blooming, the parent plant will die. It usually takes quite a while for that to happen. Healthy{{gwi:807}} broms will pup (produce young plants around the base of the plant) before their final gasp. Those can be removed, when they are mature enough, and be potted up seperately. Personally, I like the plants to make clumps. If I see new pups forming, I repot into a larger pot. When the parent dies, I cut it to the ground. The youngsers then fill in the larger pot.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:40

• cajunbadger
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That makes sense and I appreciate the info on its life cycle - I wasn't 100% clear on that aspect.

As mentioned, instead I may just slightly re-position it so it's upright. And then place the existing pot into a larger one to keep it standing properly (and for better appearance).

How about temperature concerns - need to bring it inside once overnight temps get into the 50's (it is in a large covered area)?