Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need the name to know how to care for it!

Posted by cajunbadger LA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 13 at 11:59

Was just given this plant and not sure what kind of care it requires. Thinking it should be pretty easy to id, so hope someone can help. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need the name to know how to care for it!

Guzmania

Rgds

o

Likes high indirect light to filtered sun. Keep water in crown, and let the roots dry between watering.
Can be planted outdoors in frost free climates in rich, mulchy soils or used as an epiphyte, as in grown in the crotch of a tree c sphagnum moss around the roots.

o

Thanks! Will do a bit a reading and get it transplanted soon :-)

o

Good luck:)

o

LA is kind of vague ... as the two are separated by a couple thousand miles.. and are seriously divergent in climates ..

CA or the bayou???? .. it might matter ...

ken

o

cajunbadger is the poster. Things cajun are normally identified with LA, Louisiana.

o

Lol, yes as Carol23 alluded to, an ex Badger (from Wisconsin) now living Louisiana. I looked at the profile page and all it asks/shows is one's state. I did add my zone so that should help!

Again thanks all - this is the best set of forums :-)

o

oops.. lol...

first hing i saw this morning was Cajun .... wonder how i missed it yesterday ... lol

are you repotting.. or putting it outside???

ken

o

Just read a bit more about care, etc. I plan on repotting rather than planting in the ground. At the moment it's under my large covered carport/sitting area. Towards the winter months, our temps can dip to the low 40's, upper 30's. Sounds like I'll need to bring it inside once temps start getting into the 50's at night?

o

I would not bother repotting unless it shows signs of making pups. The roots are mainly an anchor for the plant; if top-heavy, just place the current pot inside a heavier one to keep the plant from tipping over. After blooming, the parent plant will die. It usually takes quite a while for that to happen. Healthy broms will pup (produce young plants around the base of the plant) before their final gasp. Those can be removed, when they are mature enough, and be potted up seperately. Personally, I like the plants to make clumps. If I see new pups forming, I repot into a larger pot. When the parent dies, I cut it to the ground. The youngsers then fill in the larger pot.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:40

o

Thanks! That makes sense and I appreciate the info on its life cycle - I wasn't 100% clear on that aspect.

As mentioned, instead I may just slightly re-position it so it's upright. And then place the existing pot into a larger one to keep it standing properly (and for better appearance).

How about temperature concerns - need to bring it inside once overnight temps get into the 50's (it is in a large covered area)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here