Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this bug (sorry)

Posted by whaisname Long Island z7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 12:10

I couldn't find a bug or insect forum so I beg your forbearance with is bug question. I found him/her while planting. I first thought it dead but when I picked it up I realized I was "dead" wrong. So a good guy or not?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this bug (sorry)

One of the Nicrophorus, perhaps?
Try BugGuide for insect IDs.

Here is a link that might be useful: a possibility

o

I'm no bug expert, but I happened to have worked with a beetle expert this past summer and he identified one of these for me. It appears to be a pleasing fungus beetle, genus Megalodacne. They eat the fruiting bodies of fungi so are no threat to you or your plants. They may actually be beneficial because some will eat fungi that are parasitic on trees.

o

Now I'm thinking mytime may be right. The Nicrophorus looks more like your beetle than the one I mentioned, as it appears to lack the shoulder spots of the Megalodacne.

o

Maybe this guy?
http://bugguide.net/node/view/21241

Look him up on Google Images to see variations in the orange stripes, also some of his relatives. [Probably the same as mytime's bug, but a different photo.]

[If my suggestion doesn't match your bug and nobody else here finds it, this is what you do:

Go to GW's main forum page. Click on "Forums" and from the drop-down menu, choose "Nature Forums."

One of the Nature Forums is "Insects." (I assume they do other creepy-crawlies too, since there are no forums for spiders or other bugs.)

GW does, however, have a "Butterflies" forum, as well as a "Pests & Diseases" garden forum.]

o

Thanks all! I freed the fellow after making sure he was a good guy. I did dispatch a few stink bugs. I don't need to ask if they are bad guys or not.

o

rhiz the bug expert.. hangs in the pest forum .... also known as the garden clinic forum ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here