Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluema_gw

Name of this lawn weed that looks like ground ivy?

bluema
10 years ago

This weed is everywhere and it seeds like crazy. I've tried identifying the weed, but it looks most similar to ground ivy but not exactly so because the leaves are more ovate than the photos I see of ground ivy. The leaves and stems are fuzzy and hairy. Could someone positively identify it?

Comments (18)

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The roots. Most of them are long runners like the one at the bottom, but I also see branched one.

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another sample from a more shady side of lawn.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Lamium amplexicaule?

Here is a link that might be useful: Eat the weeds

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Could it really be henbit? I see the leaves with leafstalk all the way to the top, except for small emerging leaves. I took another closeup photo to show the top stems. The stems don't seem to be squarish at all... The stem is definitely round and has inner elastic string core when broken and pulled apart, similar to chickweed.

This post was edited by bluema on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 13:11

• florauk
    10 years ago

One of the Speedwells imo. Veronica sp. I don't know US species but it looks like V chamaedrys. It will only grow where the grass is sparse.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I agree that it is a speedwell. There should be blue flowers in the spring.

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picture of the stem. Elastic core like chickweed. Not hollow and square, so I've ruled out Lamium amplexicaule which should have hollow squarish stem like others in the mint family.

I can't seem to identify this weed...

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I didn't see the above two posts referencing the speedwells before I posted. It does look very similar to Veronica sp. Though it doesn't have any mint scent or taste at all when crushed or nibbled, so I'll have to watch out for the flower to confirm what it really may be.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Speedwells don't smell of mint or of anything else in particular. I would guarantee it's a Veronica. I just don't know which species are likely in your area.

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Hi there,
    100% Veronica. The hair and the lobate leaf margin definitely rule out chickweed.

I was once at a fellow students party/breakfeast/ brunch, and her mum had prepared salad from some Veronica, believing it to be chick weed.

We got out our botany guides and could determine the species (which I forgot).

The distribution of those hair could give you the clue to the species.

V chamaedris sounds familiar, but I forgot those details.

So, yes, Veronica, I had it at botany lessons and weed at least 3 diffferent species in my garden.

Bye, Lin

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've owned veronica speedwell in the past residence and it looked nothing like these speedwell species, so never thought to suspect it. No weed catalog ever mentioned it, which added to my frustration but I'm always amazed with the people with so much knowledge on this gardenweb forum. I've basically wasted days trying to identify the plant when I could've just asked. I've looked up web family descriptions to verify the stem core (which I can't find...), but I think the weed I have may be the closest to Veronica Persica aka Scrambling Speedwell based on its round stem and hairy surfaces. I'll wait to see the blue stiped flowers to confirm. Thanks!

• florauk
    10 years ago

V persica is very possible. I have that as a weed on my allotment. You say it's a lawn weed for you but in my experience it only grows on open cultivated ground and won't grow on a healthy dense lawn. No aspersions on your lawn, well not many ;-), but if it were thicker and more closely mown speedwell wouldn't get a chance.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Lawn weed, lawn weed! Yep!

V. persica lives happily in one of the shadiest areas of my lawn. I pull the larger plants, but I'll never get rid of it.

When I bought the house, V. persica filled the (self-assumed) role of groundcover in a neglected roadside bed of Rose of Sharon (now thick enough with Strawberry Candy daylilies that I rarely see speedwell there). The winter after the death of the Rose of Sharons, it made such an attractive groundcover that I felt guilty planting the first dayliles that spring.

There is also thymeleaf speedwell in most of the shady parts of the lawn. The nasty stuff roots as it goes. I'll never be rid of it either.

I thought there was a third type of speedwell somewhere, but it's not on my list.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Maybe we have different definitions of 'lawn' ;-)
    The one which grows in damp, shady, bare patches of grass here is Veronica serpyllifolia, thyme leaved speedwell as you mention.

• bluema
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't mind them so much on my lawn since they grow low,dainty, and kind of pretty along with grass, but they spread thousands of seeds and germinate on my mulched garden beds, asparagus beds, especially on the sides and the slopes of any prepped area. That is the reason why I call them weeds, and picking thousands of tiny seedlings of it and chickweeds can be very time consuming. I think I'll be using some Preen and try to get rid of them for good, if that is at all possible...

This post was edited by bluema on Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 14:31

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

still looks like a Lamium to me

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Veronica

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

@ shadyplace: Bluema did the groundwork, no square stem, so no Labiatae, bye, L

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting