Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

I must have planted it...

agkistrodon
9 years ago

Don't see any larger trees/shrubs around that look like this.....what is it?

N. VA mtn, very boggy cove forest.

Thank-you!

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Leaves look very much like Kerria japonica.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

That was my first thought gardengal48 but then I decided it looked more Spiraea japonica-like. What do you think?

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AAAAK it does doesn't it? Do these things have thorns? This doesn't seem to....can someone else confirm gardengal's answer before I pull it?

Thanks garden gal!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Spiraea certainly a possibility, but I am still leaning towards the Kerria :-)) That leading leaf on the far left is spot-on for Kerria.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't know but you both say japonica and I'm pulling it! I am trying to reduce Asian species in these woods and it's not going well...they are increasing in number by the day :( !

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's pulled! Thank-you both :)!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

No need to pull it - Kerria is a fine plant, well-suited to a woodland garden. Produces a plethora of startlingly yellow flowers in spring.

Not all plants with 'japonica' as a species designation are bad plants. And unless a purist, no need to restrict yourself to only native plants.

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    9 years ago

gardengal,

I very much appreciate your input. I am not a purist per se but have found that in this particular location, things that are not invasive in other places, are here. It is a very wet, fertile forest and it is in very bad shape due to the growth rate of invasives. There are MANY non native things that I ignore....I am battling Canada thistle but there are about 4 other species of thistle native to Europe that I turn a blind eye to because I can knock 'em back if I have to. Can you tell me if this plant spreads by roots? Is it a fast grower? Thanks!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Kerria can be thicket-forming but it is not invasive. It does expand by root suckers but not to a point where it becomes problematic. It is an easy and handsome shrub in a woodland garden, with reliable blooming even in heavy shade.

It is often suggested as a replacement plant for other known invasives.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Both Kerria japonica and Spiraea japonica are garden worthy plants and not invasive. The 'japonica' part of the name just means that they both originated in Japan and has no invasive implication per se. Although I agree with gardengal that the leaves look Kerria-ish I thought that the stem was more Spiraea-like. Kerria generally has green canes. If you ask for another id in future please give us all a chance to discuss your plant before pulling it. This one could have been a nice addition to your garden. If it was in a bad place it would have been easy to move.

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

Here Spiraea japonica has become a pest and has seeded around on banks of streams and woodlands.

Here is a link that might be useful: invasive map for Spiraea japonica

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Yes, there is an area in North Georgia that is quite invaded with Spiraea japonica.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals