Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerai_gw

What is this plant?

kerai
15 years ago

I picked it up today from Loews since I liked the foliage. It did not have a tag and so no info. I confidently bought it since I can get the id from you all :-)

Thanks!

{{gwi:354309}}

{{gwi:354310}}

{{gwi:354311}}

Comments (12)

• SusanC
    15 years ago

It looks like a variegated Ligustrum lucidum, glossy privet, Chinese privet. Here is Ligustrum lucidum, 'Excelsum'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ligustrum lucidum, 'Excelsum'

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

It looks like the leaves on this plant are alternate, so I think it is not privet.

• carol23_gw
    15 years ago

I thought it might be a Daphne.

• kerai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am not able to say one way or other, but I sure hope it is a Daphne. Is there any other characteristic that I can look for to id, like scent? Or do you think I need to wait till it flowers? Thank you all for your time :-)

• dellare
    15 years ago

It looks like the Daphne I bought at Lowes last winter. Hopefully it is. Adele

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Compare with Cleyera japonica 'Tricolor'.

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

The reddened areas seem to be from disease/fungus damage.

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

It looks a bit like Daphne, but I don't think it is... it does look familiar, though.

Try going to WWW.Namethatplant.org That website has numerous ways of searching to ID plants, and lots of resources... Not every plant IDd has picture links but A LOT of them do. It was created by an active member of the SC Native Plant Society (it's officially affiliated with them, but really just ONE of their members, and I can't remember her name, did it ALL, I think). She debuted it at the SC Master Gardeners conference in Greenville this past June and we were all just BLOWN AWAY!

If all you know is leaf color, such as in this case, but they're variegated, it might return a couple hundred results, but you can just scroll down through them and click on every one that has pictures and then click the BACK button on your browser until you find one that looks like it. I used it to identify a plant in my yard... Took me HOURS, but it was something I'd JUST TAKEN to my Garden Club's Plant ID meeting the week before and NOBODY could find an ID for it in Mike Dirr's book or ANY OTHER reference, so I thought that was pretty good!

I know how important knowing is, because until you do, if you plant it where it gets too much or too little sun or rain, that may doom it, and if it turns out to be a plant that doesn't transplant well, that might not be an option if you misplaced it (or if it turns out it's going to get bigger than you planned for that spot -- or not big enough -- so until you do, you may want to just keep it in the pot).

Good luck!
    Jeff

• kerai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input! I searched for images of Cleyera Japonica 'tricolor' online and found this image. It matches the one that I have (of course I don't understand what's written there) So, I guess it is a Cleyera.
    Jeff,
    I did search for my plant in the site that you mentioned, but not long enough :-(. The site address is www.Namethatplant.net. Thanks for info on a useful site!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cleyera Japonica 'tricolor'

• dottie_in_charlotte
    15 years ago

I didn't mention cleyera because the ones I have and am familiar with have extremely shiny leaves and the OP's photo didn't indicate that.

• kerai
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dottie_in_charlotte,
    I also had a tough time since it didn't match with the green leaved Cleyera that I have. :-)

• jeffahayes
    15 years ago

Thanks very much to a fellow master gardener for emailing me and letting me know I misstated the web address for NameThatPlant above.

It's NameThatPlant.NET, NOT NameThatPlant.ORG

I WAS going to go one step further and ALSO insert it as a hyperlink, but APPARENTLY this goofy Gardenweb won't let you insert ".net" addresses as links, because it REJECTED my posting when I tried -- TWICE.

At any rate, if you cut and paste what I typed above (probably WITH or WITHOUT the WWW part, it SHOULD work). I say SHOULD because occasionally I've found that site to be down. My guess is it gets more traffic than it can handle sometimes, maybe because the SC Native Plant Society didn't anticipate quite as much traffic as they're getting, lol... Maybe they didn't anticipate people like ME posting about it places like HERE and on my local Master Gardener board, which has more than 500 members all by itself, lol (more than 3 times as many as were in attendance at the state conference!) We have the largest Master Gardener group in Spartanburg in the state! Don't ask me how or why.
    Jeff