buldozerko

Unknown plant

buldozerko
10 years ago

What could it be??

Comments (22)

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Not to be bossy, it will help people if you include more information. Where is it located? City, State. Woods, Prairie, Swamp.
    There's nothing in the picture to give us an idea of the size. Are the leaves pea-sized, penny-sized, baseball-sized?
    Anything else you can throw in will help the wonderful brilliant people who read these give you an answer. I'm not the one to give answers. I'm one of the ones that keeps this post hopping--lost of no id plants in my life!

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Cercis?

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Berberis.

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It is in my pot. It is not berberis. Could be some sort of cercis, but I cannot remeber that I had any cercis seed in my hands.
    It is in Belgrade, Europe (climate like in NYC approx.)
    Leaves are less than one inch in diameter.
    The plant is about 1,5 inch in height, and thy come the leaves from the top.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

WAG .. a ginger???

ken

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, it is not a ginger. I know that cause I have a ginger pplant in the pot. But thx anyway.

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Come on people, any new idea?!

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

It is in Belgrade, Europe

That would be a key factor in not many guesses.
    Perhaps post when it is older and the leaves are more mature.

• stimpy926
    10 years ago

Looks like it could be in the Anacardiaceae, cotinus,sumac, family - ?

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sumac it is not...I think it is winter hardy (-20dg Celsius)

• florauk
    10 years ago

Is that as big as it gets? Or is it a juvenile? Can you show any other angles?

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried to make some better photo, but I couldnt. I am not sure, Flora, is it young plant, but I think it is at least one year old. Maybe it will not grow more in the pot?!

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

Looks like round Eucalyptus leaves

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

once again I posted and it did not show up on the board ??
    anyway what about round eucalyptus leaves? Just a guess.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

shadeyplace,
    Perhaps you can try a different web browser(Firefox)?
    I'm able to see all your posts.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I responded to another post of theirs on another forum about possibility of Eucalyptus polyanthemos, but the veining wasn't a match. Not sure if Eucalyptus grows in Belgrade. No reply from buldozerko yet.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

sorry..I will just assume my posts are being seen!

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

You might remove a leaf to see about what type of sap is there plus see if there is anything aromatic when you crush a leaf.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Re. the possibility of eucalyptus in Belgrade (in case there is some eucalyptus with that veination):

Belgrade is deep in zone 6, according to GW's 1998 map (linked below is the map for that part of Europe). Two other European maps in my bookmarks are no longer on the web.
    http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze7.html

When I moved to the (relative) warmth of 7a, I set about trying to grow all my favorite California plants. I had a Eucalyptus gunnii which survived a couple of winters before a hot summer did it in. [That was the most cold-hardy eucalyptus which was easily available to me by mail-order six years ago.]

On the other hand, this article (which says there are other factors than simply temperature) claims a man has grown an unspecified eucalyptus cultivar in Cinncinnatti (6b) for multiple years. No details; maybe it was right next to his house.
    http://www.angelfire.com/bc/eucalyptus/euccoldhard.html

• buldozerko
    Original Author
    10 years ago

it smells like "normal" plant, usual green smell
    No sap, just normal plant "juice"
    Eucalyptus does not grow in Serbia. I had never seed of any eucalyptus in my hands.

• florauk
    10 years ago

Are you saying you grew this from seed? If so can you remember what the seed looked like? Where it might have come from? What conditions it germinated in?

Every time I looks at the picture a little voice in my head says 'Euphorbia'. But I can't find one similar.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Asclepias? Or another euphorbia relative?