Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrogers42_gw

What kind of houseplants are these?

jrogers42
10 years ago

Plant 1 is made up of fuzzy pods and there are things that look like brown tarantula legs sitting on the top of the soil (weird, I know).

Thank you!

Comments (9)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

The 1st is Crassula mesembryanthemoides & the 2nd a Scindapsus (Pothos), although the name may have been changed by now.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Second is Epipremnum, though still usually called Pothos.

• jrogers42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THANK YOU!! That strange pod plant was driving me crazy. You guys are great!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i like that you left the plants in the nursery pots.. and simply inserted them into the decorative pots ...

mom has a very old pathos.. going on 10 or 12 feet long ...it not going to live forever in that small nursery pot ... so up-pot it ...

or just keep track.. and root a new piece or two.. when it uses up the media in the small pot ...

mom cant water hers.. for lack of media ... [well.. and the fact that dad GRHSoul.. added DIRT on top of the media ...] ...

and to top it all off .. its hanging 2 feet from the ceiling.. and runs along the light chain to a tiffany style light that hangs over the kitchen table ... i cant get it down ... to change the media ... well... i could.. if she would let me ... but she wont allow me to mess with dads pet project .. lol ... so every visit.. we have to discuss why ... crikey ... lol...

ken

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

I neglected to mention that your #1 plant (Crassula) should not be grown as a houseplant. It is a succulent & will want as much warmth & sun as you can give it. Those things on the soil looking like tarantula legs are most likely dead stems.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I disagree that the Crassula is unsuitable for indoor culture. I had one for several years and it needed nothing more than any of the more common succulents under my care. They do not need special lighting nor temperature considerations....not any more than other Crassula.

It is normal for the stems to become bare. It's part of their 'charm'.

Jrogers, be sure to do some research about how to care for your Crassula and the Pothos (Epipremnum). They have very different requirements.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

I do pinching on my Pothos to keep it from becoming a vine.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Technically, Epipremnum is always a vine, but removing the tips often can maintain a non-vine appearance of a potted one. Syngonium, OTOH, do have a rosette phase, somewhat similar leaves. Is it possible that's what your plant is, Emmarene? If it is a Pothos, it may make bigger leaves as a vine with a support to climb on, if that is interesting to you.

• jrogers42
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! The place where I work was going to throw them out after being window decorations so I thought I'd give them a chance. As for the Crassula, I live in an apartment so I don't have many options for him other than being a houseplant. I'll definitely read up on caring for it though. Thanks again!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor