Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone familiar with this west coast fern?

Posted by w1ldflower WA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 14:29

Found this fern growing in a garden outside of Seattle, WA. It stood about 2' in height. Not sure if it was a native or transplant, but it seemed to be content. Hoping someone can help put a name to it. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone familiar with this west coast fern?

polypodium glycyrrhiza GUESSING

o

Blechnum spicant

Rgds

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 23:33

Looks like deer fern to me too - Blechnum spicant

o

Thank you! I believe deer fern is correct. Pondering how it got such a horrific sounding Latin designation? :)

o

glad to know. it is a good looking fern

o

'Blechnum' comes from the ancient Greek word blechnon, meaning 'fern'; 'spicant' means 'tufted' or 'spiked'.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 17:27

Notice it produces two types of fronds, the fertile, spore-bearing ones standing up in the center and the sterile ones forming the basal tuft.

o

Thanks, gardengal48! That makes a bit more sense. Thank you also, bboy. I did notice that on inspection and collected a few of the fertile fronds. It really is a handsome garden specimen and didn't seem to take the abuse of the Seattle rains like some of the more delicate ferns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here