Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help naming my fig tree :-)

Posted by AnaCosta none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 14:43

Hi guys,

I just bought a fig tree and realised that knowing its type might be quite important if I want ripe figs.

Do any of you know which one it is? Figs are green when ripe (see photo).

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help naming my fig tree :-)

Another photo of the leaves

o

Op is in Portugal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Portuguese-fig-varieties

This post was edited by saltcedar on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 15:12

o

You might also ask on GW's Fig forum.

o

Thanks saltcedar, I have been investigating some of those names. Some look so similar or practically the same, but at least I can narrow it down from there.

Thanks missingtheobvious, I have been kind of spamming the fig forum today, and hopefully someone will see it :-)

This post was edited by AnaCosta on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 5:46

o

One more!

o

The one ripe fig I had didn't look so good. It was way too milky to be good, it didn't smell like anything, the taste was over-ripe, and there was something white, resembling a fungus in the center of it.

Either way, I'm adding a photo here in case it helps

o

in my world of collecting .... i like to say ...

a hundred dollar plant.. without a name tag.. is a 5 dollar plant ...

i doubt you will ever get a 100% answer on what fig this is ...

for all you know... it was seed grown to start with.. which would mean.. to me.. it has no name..its a no name seedling ...which means the resultant fruit may or may not be of high quality ....

why doesnt your seller know ??

ken

o

Hi Ken,

My fig tree was actually really cheap, might explain a few things eh? It cost me 15 euros.

I have no clue as to why they don't, all I got from them was that they didn't know.

I am giving my tree the benefit of the doubt as when I bought her she was planted in peat.

I don't know if this is bad, but I am presuming that a young tree that is about 1,40m tall shouldn't be growing in a tiny peat vase. Hopefully this is why the fruit was so crappy? She does look pretty healthy though, nice and strong, no damage, new leaves growing from several places.

Do you think that she will forever be a crappy fig maker because of bad genetics?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here