Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernmelle

What in the world is this thing? Tree and/or weed?

SouthernMelle
10 years ago

When I moved into my house 3 years ago, two of these "trees" were in the bed against the front of my house. My elderly neighbor swears someone told her they were weeds, but they look pretty deliberately placed to me. At first they didn't bother me. Last year, they had grown way too high, so I had them trimmed way down, almost to where no leaves were left on them. Within less than a year, they shot back up to almost the height they had been cut back from! They have these clusters of yellowy-green flower things (which I am sure are causing vicious allergy attacks). Now I have a huge problem with them, especially the one by my front door, because they have quickly attracted an enormous swarm of bees and some kind of red wasps. The buzz when you walk out the door is unbelievable! I have a 6 month old and a 5 year old, so I'm very concerned about the plague of stinging insects lurking about. I have had no luck in finding out what these things are online, in books, or from anyone I've talked to. HELP ME! I am wondering if I should have them completely removed or just cut way back again. I'm thinking if I allow them to grow back, I will be dealing with these issues again in a year. Thanks to anyone who can help!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner