Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirre1

Help ID this limb (no leaves)

squirre1
9 years ago

Could someone please help me ID this tree limb?
There are no leaves, and being so new to trees, they all look just about the same to me, but I really need to determine what tree this is, as accurately as possible.

I am going to post four photos from various angles to help with identification.

THANK YOU!!!

Comments (17)

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #2

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #3

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the last photo #4

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

We're gonna need a bit more than that :-))

Can you get a photo of the overall tree? And there's no leaves left at all? Any on the ground? Anything at all you can remember that might describe the tree in more detail? Flowers, fruit, seed pods, stem buds, etc. Even fall coloring can sometimes help but just a chopped off branch is not much to go on.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

If you really can't supply any more info. my guess would be a maple of some sort. Appropriate given your location.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

just for the heck of it.. try the tree forum ...

mature bark on the big tree might work for an ID ... as well as any of the bazillion fallen leaves under it ....

my kids.. used to take a cutting like that.. invert it.. and run around the yard yelling Wingardium Leviosa (Levitation Charm) ... it didnt work to my eye ... but as spongebob said... use your imagination ... boy that was a flashback ..

ken

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi gardenga, floral and ken!

Thank you for your suggestions!

well, i was able to get some more info about the location - someone took a few pics of the spot where this tree limb was found.

Perhaps, if you see what trees are in that spot, it would be easier to identify what my tree limb is?
    Also, this is in Quebec, Canada (if this could be any help).

Also, does anyone know what the tree with rounded leaves is in the last pic?

Again, I will have to make several posts in order to post photos of the area where this limb was found.

Thank you again!!!

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo # 2 of the area where my tree limb was found

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #3 of the area where my unidentified tree limb was found:

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #4 of the area where my unidentified tree limb was found:

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #5 of the area where my unidentified tree limb was found:

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #6 of the area where my unidentified tree limb was found:

• squirre1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

photo #7 (and the last photo) of the area where my unidentified tree limb is found.

(by any chance, does anyone know what this tree with round leaves is?)

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

Last pic looks like a beaked hazel to me.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

First 2 pictures look like Ulmus (Elm) species but I don't know which ones would be in your region. Last one looks like (Corylus (Hazel) species to me too. Again I don't know which you'd be likely to get. The first tree seedling looks like a Fraxinus (Ash) and the second like an Acer (Maple). As to the original tree branch, there are lots of maple leaves in your pictures so that suggestion still stands. There are also lots of oak leaves but since I'm only familiar with the oaks I see over here I couldn't tell you if your limb is oak. It wouldn't be here - wrong bark and markings.

• Kirstin Zone 5a NW Chicago
    9 years ago

Squirrel, I'll offer one other guess. It is just a guess because it is very difficult to id a tree based solely on bark...helpful information is buds, fruits, leaves. But since you have none of those things, I'm looking at your supporting photos to see what's there. Like Floral and Campanula, I'll say Maple is definitely a possibility. But based on the first leafy picture, I'm going to guess it could possibly be a young Carpinus caroliniana, American hornbeam. Their trunks are smooth & blue. As branches mature, they take on a more fluted, muscular look, giving them a common name of Musclewood. But young trees and branches would look similar to your sample. And the leaves in your first leafy photo could be Elm, but it seems the leaf blade is very symmetric at the base, which makes me lean toward Carpinus.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Sheesh, I think that I'd wear a hard hat around there!

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert