Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

GardenWeb needs your feedback!

gwannouncements
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

As you may have noticed, we've been sprucing up the site a bit. Among other things, we've added new ways to upload photos and email notifications of post replies. We are still cleaning out cobwebs and weeding some areas of the site, but we are also working on some bigger projects like a better search engine (yay!) and a mobile app. We'd also like to get some feedback from you. What enhancements or additions would you like to see? What do you love? What do you hate? Think big and small!

We can't promise the moon, but please know that we will read and consider every one of your ideas and suggestions. We appreciate your loyalty and dedication to our site and we know how important your community is to you. Help us make it even better!

Please use this post to offer your feedback. But, as always, you are welcome to contact me directly by clicking on my profile page.

Best regards,

Tamara Amey

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (12)

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

The pop-up ads that cover whatever you're trying to read are really annoying!

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Glad to hear that a better search engine is in the works because the search tools here are pretty bad. I usually use google with search options to search for info in GW back posts. More visibility for the search tool would probably be good too. The ability to search the forums seems to almost be a "secret" we have to share with new posters. Searching isn't really needed as much as in this forum but in forums like Herbs it is.

I've noticed with the new photo inclusion functionality - which really does help people posting to this forum a lot, that if you correct something and preview again, you will have to reattach again. I think this catches a lot of people. If you could carry that attachment through on successive previews or at least make people aware they need to reattach, that would help. I don't normally use this functionality so if you have recently changed it or I have misremembered how it operates, please disregard.

FataMorgana

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

Ability to edit/delete your own post is a must.

• garystpaul
    11 years ago

Tamara, when trying to respond to a query I often find myself frustrated to see that the poster has left no indication of place or zone where s/he gardens. I think it would be a help to make that information mandatory at the point of registration.

My $.02

Gary

• dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)
    11 years ago

[quote]Tamara, when trying to respond to a query I often find myself frustrated to see that the poster has left no indication of place or zone where s/he gardens. I think it would be a help to make that information mandatory at the point of registration.[/quote]

I agree with the post. I won't even open it when the poster doesn't identify as I'm not interested in things from Z10 e.g..
    Also, how about [/quote] ?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

On this forum it would be lovely if the OP could add to the original title the word SOLVED so others know that the ID has been found.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

nhbabs - that is a good idea on the face of it but sometimes the OP unknowingly accepts an incorrect id which is later disproved. So maybe it's best to leave the thread as it is. However, for some of us nit pickers the word 'SOLVED' would act as a challenge and stimulate us to have a closer look to see if we agree ;-)

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

Flora is right. A post with a tricky ID can often be silent until someone posts an incorrect ID! :) It is a nice idea though.

Simple buttons to add italics and bold formatting, etc. to text may help those not acquainted with HTML tags to add formatting. This is a "nice" feature as opposed to a "requirement" in my opinion.

Some newer forum sites have avatar picture and "ratings" based upon how frequently the posters make posts functionality. The ratings give people a clue as to "regulars" and forum "experts" plus some recognition to those folks that do make the forums alive. And the avatar pics is just one of those little bits of personality and customization people like. I've been a regular of one forum or another since Usenet days when everything was text only and so I personally don't have to have such things but I would expect this type of upgrade to be liked by many.

FataMorgana

• gwannouncements
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone!

You asked and we listened. Today we are very excited to be debuting our newest feature -- post editing! To use this feature, go back to the post you wish to correct and you'll find the link under the 'My Clippings' links on the right side of the page.

I want to give a special shout out to all the testers who tried to break the editing tool. ;) Your feedback was insightful and invaluable. Thank you!

You may have also noticed that we adjusted the login cookie awhile back so that you should not have to login repeatedly.

Stay tuned -- we have more cool things in the works!

As always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Best regards,
    Tamara

• carol222
    11 years ago

I wish that when you click on an entry it automatically opens in a new window. That would save a lot of time going back and forth.

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

I wish there were an easy way to use links without having to use the link box - or to know the technical way to embed them. Sometimes I want to add more than one link, and I don't want people to have to cut/paste (I rarely bother to cut/paste myself.) Why are links in the body of our messages not click-able links?

• Iris GW
    11 years ago

carol222, you might be able to do that yourself (depending on your browser perhaps). Instead of left-clicking (that is, instead of using the left button on the mouse), right click instead, and you will see several choices. Two of them are:

Open Link in New Tab
    Open Link in New Window

Choose which one you want and left click it. That's how I do it.