Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gcotterl

What kind of rose...?

gcotterl
9 years ago

In the NAME THAT ROSE! section of the ROSES forum, I've posted "Please ID this rose" (Posted by: gcotterl riverside calif on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 15:52) but no one has posted a reply yet.

Can anyone in this forum tell me what my rose is?

Comments (20)

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

I followed the link to the rose forum but something about the fotobucket link did not work for me, I could not view any pics, not sure why

bye, Lin

• nel5397
    9 years ago

It could be a Julia Child rose.

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's definitely a NOT Julia Child rose

This post was edited by gcotterl on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 21:48

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do I paste the HTML code into:

* the "Image file to upload" box
    * the "Optional link URL" box
    * the "Message" box

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

IIRC, if you have the html from Photobucket, you can paste that into the Message box itself. Try it and see: the photo should be there in Preview. (Whatever you see in Preview should be what will show up in the final post.)

Because you're using a photohosting site, you can put multiple photos in a single post.

"Image file to upload" is for a photo on your PC (I assume it also works for cell phones). Using that, you are limited to one photo in a post.

[There used to be -- maybe still is? -- a software glitch where photos would disappear if you used "Image file to upload" and went back and forth between Preview and the Message box at the bottom of the full thread. So folks would see the photo in the Preview, then back out into the Message box on the full thread rather than editing in the Message box under the Preview, and when they posted, there was no photo. I don't know if this is still a problem.]

"Optional Link URL" is for a web page you'd like to link to; you used that in your Name That Rose forum page to link to the Photobucket page. It simply turns a url into a clickable link. Afaik it can't be used to insert a photo into the page. "Name of the Link" is optional; it gives your link a name rather than just showing the url (again, as you did on the other thread). [I use a Firefox add-on (BBCodeXtra) to make clickable links; it lets me do multiple links per post. The code shows up in the Message box, and if I want, I can manually change the html to give the link a name. (BBCodeXtra also has other html functions.)]

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks. Now I know how to upload a photo.

{{gwi:357507}}

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Try asking on the regular rose forum. Include any information you have like when you got it and what the leaves and plant look like

My guess Peace

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I did post my question (with photos) in the NAME THAT ROSE! section of the ROSES forum.

The Peace Rose is yellow with the outward petals bearing delightful pink edges.

My rose is pure yellow.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

I know very few roses, but I grew up with Peace and remember it clearly. I agree that gcotterl's mystery rose isn't Peace.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Try the regular rose forum. The name that rose forum gets few visits

Sorry, I thought you meant the other pink edged yellow rose that is on the name gallery.

How big is the bloom?
    How long have you had the plant?
    Do you remember where you got the plant?
    Does it have a lot of scent?

If it was in my garden in SoCal, I would say Golden Celebration and both of mine just finished blooming The blooms where smaller and seem less packed probably because of the lack of rain and limited irrigation

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Celebration

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

{{gwi:339083}}

{{gwi:339084}}

{{gwi:339085}}

The blooms are pure yellow; are 4 to 4 1/2" across and 2" deep; and have a scent (although not very strong or overpowering).

I cut the rose back to canes in the winter and prune it several times a year so the rose stays between 3' and 4' tall.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Rose cultivars number in the thousands, you may have to post fully illustrative photos and descriptions as described by the Name That Rose FAQ section to have even a chance of someone coming up with the right name for you.

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have already posted my question (with photos and descriptions) in the NAME THAT ROSE section of the ROSES forum.

I posted the identical info in the NAME THAT PLANT forum because a previous responder said that the other forum is not visited very frequently.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

When you refer to cutting back canes do you mean this is a rambler or climber rather than a shrub or bush rose?

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I cut the rose back so only 6- to 8-inch canes remain.

Each bloom has 30 to 35 petals.

Here's a photo of a bud.

{{gwi:357510}}

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I got the bit about cutting back severely but the term 'canes' usually refers to a rambler or climber. Is this what yours is or is it a bush or shrub rose. Knowing that would cut down the possibilities.

• gcotterl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My rose is not a rambler or a climber.
    What's the difference between a "shrub rose" and a "bush rose"?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Shrub roses are generally larger, laxer, older (in style, if not in ancestry) less likely to be repeat flowering, more likely to be scented and are generally more lightly pruned.

Here is a link that might be useful: Difference between shrub and bush roses

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Someone on the rose forum thought 'Charlotte' but that seems a bit too cupped in form--I'm wondering 'Molineux', but 'Molineux' has a distinctive musky scent, not altogether pleasant to some noses. You'll also see some small touches of gold at certain times of the year.

{{gwi:357513}}

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?