Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmarene9

Name This Nasty Tree please

emmarene9
10 years ago

This is a tree I hate. It volunteers all over my neighborhood.There is so much of it because it is tenacious.The first picture shows a branch. The second photo shows the spreading habit and multi trunks. It was so dark I am surprised the picture came out so well. I did use flash. The third and fourth picture show the black fruit. It has a strong scent. I hope clicking the photo will send you to my photobucket, I am having trouble posting photos
{{gwi:358325}}

I apologize the pictures are not in order when you get to photbucket click the left side of screen.

This post was edited by emmarene on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 18:12

Comments (14)

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

Privet?

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Not privet, the leaves appear to be alternate. Not enough details yet. Where is this plant located (city/state?).

• emmarene9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tree is in the Sacramento area of Northern California.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

California bay laurel, Umbellularia californica?

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

If that, the leaves will have an obvious spicy aroma when rubbed.

The other photos of this plant can be seen by clicking the above image and then using the arrows on the photobucket image series.

• thedecoguy
    10 years ago

Prunus caroliniana?

• emmarene9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys.
    Thedecoguy, It looks very similar to Prunus Caroliniana but I have doubts.
    Missingtheobvious, I think Unbellularia Californica is most like it.
    One thing puzzles me though.The bark I saw on Google looked nothing like the smooth bark shown in photo. Can bark change from location to location?

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

I can't explain the bark except by looking it up:

"The bark is thin and smooth on young trees, while older trees have thin, scaly bark that is continually shed."
    http://www.fs.fed.us/database/feis/plants/tree/umbcal/all.html

"Young bark is thin, smooth, and gray-brown; mature bark becomes thin, reddish brown, and somewhat scaly."
    http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=264

[I grew up in California -- way long ago! -- and every so often my subconscious says it recognizes a plant, while my conscious mind shrugs and disclaims all knowledge. Sometimes the subconscious is right....]

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

I'm thinking it's one of the species of Pittosporum. But Sacramento is far enough down there that - as elsewhere in lowland parts of California within reasonable distance of the coast - there is all kinds of broad-leaved evergreen trees and shrubs around that are not seen in most of the rest of the country. The arboretum-like state capitol campus - where there is possibly the same kind planted, with a sign on it - even has old citrus trees.

Another place you might see the same tree is the arboretum at UC Davis. Or somebody at a nearby independent garden center might know it.

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

bboy, not sure if you looked at the photos linked above, but here is the fruit.

{{gwi:358326}}

• sf_rhino
    10 years ago

That really does not look to me like Umbellularia californica to me. As Larry said, the leaves should have a very strong bay leaf smell when rubbed (it is California bay laurel after all). Also if it is a bay laurel, the fruit should be somewhat mushy when ripe (it is related to the avocado) with a single large, round, smooth seed that is most of the volume of the fruit. As I said it really doesn't look like that to me, plus I don't seem many of those growing in the Sac area, they like it slightly cooler and less dry. You'll see them all over Marin, the peninsula, up around Napa, and in the east bay towards Diablo but not much past say Fairfield going towards the valley. Also, the leaves are narrower and the new growth can look a bit purple.

What does the inside of the fruit look like? Lots and lots of volunteer privets in the valley, but those should have opposite leaves. Does pittosporum have a smell? Plenty of those in the valley too. If the fruit has multiple seeds, that would be my vote.

r

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Leaves not very typical but it varies - fruits look like Cinnamomum camphora. This was an obvious guess from the start but examples shown weren't particularly characteristic.

• emmarene9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. I could not resist adding one last photo.
    The tree does have a strong odor. I said that in my first post..

• larry_gene
    10 years ago

"strong scent" could be anything from stinky to pleasant, does not hone in on an ID.