Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Type of Fruit Tree is This...and are the Fruit's Edible?

Posted by brioli GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 17:47

Hi,
I'm in the southeastern United States, and discovered a tree growing close to the Savannah river. The tree is fairly tall, over 16 feet, and has fleshy raspberry like fruits ranging from orange to pinky-red in color. The pinky red fruits, which look ripe, are the color, shape, and texture of Raspberries. These fruits are a bit larger then a raspberry (about 2 times the size), and when squeezed, ooze a sap looking stuff and a milky white substance seems to be coming from the fruit or the stem. The fruit isn't shiny like red and black berries on Mulberry, Dooberry, plants...etc...it's frosted and fuzzy just like a raspberry, and soft ;).

The tree's leaves are tear-drop in shape.

Can someone please tell me what this is, and if it's fruits are edible? They sure look edible!

Image link: What Type of Fruit Tree is This...and are the Fruit's Edible? (57 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Type of Fruit Tree is This...and are the Fruit's Edible?

Here is a link to a better photo of the tree :).

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry looking tree Photo

o
RE: Fruit Tree Berry up close!

Here is another one of the berries up close with the milky stuff.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berry Up Close with Milky stuff

o
RE: Fruit Tree Bark Photo

Fruit Tree Bark photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree Bark of Tree

o

Perhaps Cornus kousa

Here is a link that might be useful: Cornus kousa fruit

o
RE: Tree height photo

Link to Tree Height Photo

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo to see how big the tree is

o
new here, and my photo turned out awful here is a good one!

Best photo of FRUIT AND TREE :)

Here is a link that might be useful: BEST PHOTO, PLEASE SEE!

o
RE: Cornus kousa

No, not quite :). It's not Cornus kousa

The fruit doesn't hang from stems. I'm new to this, and messed up the picture links. Please see the below link for a REAL GOOD LOOK AT THE TREE :)

Here is a link that might be useful: FRUIT & LEAVES TOGETHER

o

I'd guess Cudrania tricuspidata -- Cudrania, Chinese Mulberry, Che, Cudrang, Mandarin Melon Berry, Silkworm Thorn, Storehousebush.

Joe

o

• Posted by brioli Cudrania Tricuspidat (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 18:14

This is very close to what it looks like, almost identical except the cluster of little bits in the fruit. The photo's of that tree show a wavy pattern, this one has a bubble pattern...kind of like the blackberry.

It's also full of milky white juice. Looks like milk. I couldn't find any reference on the net of the Cudrania tricuspidata having this milky white stuff inside. Any ideas? Anyone? I'm just dying to know for sure what this is :). Thanks everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: THE FRUIT & LEAVES LINK AGAIN

o

That is definitely Cudrania tricuspidata (che-berry; melonberry; storehousebush; etc.). It's in the Mulberry/Fig family. Edible fruits, etc. Does it seem to be on it's own roots, or grafted (if so, upon osage-orange, a relative).

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here