blakrab

5-Fingered Leaf Weed?

blakrab Centex
10 years ago

What is this very common weed?

Comments (16)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

It may be a mulberry. Check the roots and see if they are yellow.

• blakrab Centex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mulberry? Surely not... Any other ideas?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:358901}}

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Definitely Morus alba, we go through this every year. It has EXTREMELY variable leaves.

{{gwi:315499}}

{{gwi:315504}}

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:06

• blakrab Centex
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, really??? :o I stand corrected then! Any idea if this is Red or Black?

So, I guess it's not really a weed after all, but a nice edible! :P And I had no idea!

Interesting, because I think I've also seen a lot of another leaf type, that may be White Mulberry too then...

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:358902}}

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Fruit white to pinkish purple through reddish-black. Considered invasive in many states. Your linked page is labeled Morus rubra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Global Invasive Species Database

This post was edited by saltcedar on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 17:49

• blakrab Centex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Guess I still just want to see the hard proof here, but has anyone actually seen these grow from a Morus alba seed, or mature into one with actual positive ID berries on it? Some random commenters claim they have, but it'd still be great to hear from a few more sources?

• Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    6 years ago

Maybe some weird genetic remnant still existing in the Uticalean clade.Too bad these rogue Morus can't produce psycoactive trichomes.That would be sweet!!!

blakrab Centex thanked Jay 6a n.c. IL.
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    6 years ago

Good grief, blak....after all this time you still haven't found enough pictures on line to support the fact that your seedlings are white mulberry? ;-)

• fizgig777 ╰⊰❀ Z7a ❀⊱╮
    6 years ago

We used to spend hours up in the Mulberry trees as kids in Europe.... One set of grandparents had three varieties bearing diff't fruit --- white, red, and black {I'm not talking diff't stages of ripeness; the fruit when ready to be picked were those colors) .... The black were the most flavorful & also the biggest.... The red had fruit half the size... The white had the same sized fruit as the black, but didn't produce as big a crop. The trees were prized! They used to make everything from wine (main use for the black ones) to pastries to jams to wool dyes and a few other things from the fruit. They grew the white Mulberry trees in the main courtyard of the house where no farm animals were kept -- well, except for the odd flock of chickens brought in now and then to clean up the fruit that made it to the ground) --- and the ones bearing colored fruit in the stable & barn areas. They didn't want the colorful fruit to stain everything so they planted the trees where the animals would "clean up" any fruit that made it to the ground.... The wine produced from the fruit was very sought after and brought in a pretty penny at market.... So we were shocked to find that in the USA they're considered weeds to be destroyed.... hehe.... But, such is life.... One man's weed is another man's salad....

Now, the "tree" in your first shot, IMO, doesn't have the look of a Mulberry. Also isn't reacting to being in full sun the way a Mulberry normally would, again, IMO. I'm certain some would disagree with me.... And, of course, I could be wrong, too --- one of the most difficult trees to ID when young IME.

As for the last three shots.... While I've never seen a Mulberry with the leaf shapes this [these?] exhibits near the top half of the plant, there are some leaves on the lower portion which I would say are decidedly Mulberry.

You might consider digging up the smaller specimens and putting them in a suitably sized planter to see what they turn into. Mulberries can be notoriously difficult to ID when young. You might alternatively consider digging down to expose the main root of the bigger specimen to see if it has the classic yellow that a Mulberry would have. If you're careful & don't use a sharp/pointed implement, you won't harm the plant.

My 2¢

• Jay 6a n.c. IL.
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The plant in the original photo looks a little different than all the following pics.What's going on with the leaves? Are they variagated or diseased? And its foliage seems more dense than a tipical mulberry.Four years is a long time.

• blakrab Centex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

"Good grief, blak....after all this time you still haven't found enough pictures on line to support the fact that your seedlings are white
    mulberry?"

Well, despite all the online claims, it just didn't seem like a good fit. So, I've remained skeptical and unconvinced. And now I think I know why - because this ISN'T actually Morus alba...but Morus australis var. linearipartita (Morus australis Poir)! It is commonly called 'Chicken/Korean Mulberry' (allegedly) because of how its leaves resemble a chicken's foot...

• blakrab Centex
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I believe this might be an actual adult specimen of this Morus australis var. linearipartita variety? Or perhaps it's just another garden-variety Morus alba?

• Jay 6a Chicago
    6 years ago

Morus Australis easily hybridizes with other species, so who can say, without a DNA test. Seems to be invasive in some locations. Has juicy looking berries I'm sure birds spread everywhere.

blakrab Centex thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

It isn't false Aralia. Note that the original plant has entire palmate leaves. False Aralia has compound leaves made up of individual leaflets with their own petioles.

eta my post now makes no sense. It was responding to a post which has subsequently been deleted.

blakrab Centex thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Jay 6a Chicago
    6 years ago

Blackrab, is the plant still there ? A flower or fruit pic should tell whether its Morus or not. If it is indeed Morus, then I can live with M. australis or a hybrid .

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath