• User
    9 years ago

Privet.
    Most people use them as hedges.
    Personally I don't care for them.

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you! I don't care for it either really. I am thinking about removing it.

• surya55_gw
    9 years ago

If it provides berries, you may want to keep it for wildlife i.e: especially birds and small mammals.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'm rather doubtful about the Ligustrum (privet) id. The flower buds look wrong to me. Does it have prickles or is that just something else growing up through it?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

How about Viburnum tinus 'Compactum'?

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

Are those tiny white berries or flower buds? Some of the Boxwood hedges around here are loaded with the little berries.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I'm assuming they're buds.

tulsarose, are you sure those berries are on Boxwood? I've never met a Buxus that has berries. They have little green fruit with three 'horns' and 3 capsules inside.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 14:06

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Where are you located and how long has this been in the ground? Is it a new planting? Is it evergreen or deciduous?

Viburnum tinus will likely not survive a zone 6 winter. Mine died to ground this last winter in zone 7A

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm in southern illinois. It's been there for a while, at least 4 years. It's on the edge of my property on the back side of my garage, where no one ever really is but lately I was thinking about doing something back there (next year maybe). They look like little buds to me, can't say if it makes berries or not as I never really paid attention to it before.

This post was edited by jeserfen on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 9:47

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Japanese privet blooms in the spring, and I definitely don't see buds on it until the spring growth appears.

The leaves and general appearance in the photo don't match Japanese privet (which the Previous Owners left me 20 of). A year or two ago someone here (I think saltcedar) explained how to differentiate between Japanese and Chinese privet: the differences he cited were in leaf size and maximum height, so I would disqualify Chinese privet also (i.e., the OP's shrub is way too different from my Japanese privet to be Chinese privet).

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ligustrum obtusifolium?

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm pretty sure they are berries. I'm not much of a gardener yet, lol.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Look like flower buds to me. Anyway, the picture does not show a close enough view for the conversation to produce any decisive answers. If you want to try again with a better picture you will probably get better results.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

jeserfen, if you cut open the buds/berries, what do you find inside?

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

floral_uk, my error. I was thinking "some type of Privet?" and typed Box blah, blah. Sorry for the error. CRS strikes again!

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will cut one open after work, missingtheobvious

• Josh Rodenberg
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Farther away. It has those webworms on it, whatwver they are actually called

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!