Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thorn bush/tree with oak like leaves?

Posted by Lorelei80 Zone 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 19:30

Hi everyone!
I'm hoping that someone can help me out here. This bush/tree sprung up in our garden by our pond sometime late last year and we can't figure out what it is!
I'm not sure whether it is a nuisance or something I should hold onto, therefore I would sincerely appreciate it if someone could identify it.
Here are some observations that may help:
It has oak-like leaves, but I'm skeptical that it is a species of oak since it has thorns toward the end of the branches (I drew a black circle around one of the thorns).
It is kind of slender and gangly looking, with leaves growing right up each of the branches. The branches do not branch off into smaller sections either. Over all it is about 5'5" (approx. 165 cm), though it could grow taller as it has grown astonishingly fast in the last year.
The leaves appear to be deciduous as some of them are now starting to change a yellow color (and it is autumn here).
I have yet to notice any fruit or seeds growing on it, but I haven't been closely monitoring either, therefore it may be possible that I missed that cycle.
Contact with the plant does not cause any rashes (ruling out poison oak, sumac, ivy, etc.).
Also I live in Europe!
Hopefully that is enough information for an identification. Thank you in advance!

photo tree2.jpg

photo tree.jpg

photo thorn.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thorn bush/tree with oak like leaves?

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:04

How about Crataegus genus...some are native to areas of Europe. Don't know what your common name would be for them, but hawthorn is one common name.

o

Bingo! I think you have figured it out. It definitely looks like a Hawthorn. I bet one of our many bird visitors transplanted it by droppings.
I think that I will keep it since the wildlife seem to enjoy it, but maybe I can try moving it to a different area of the yard since it is very close to my walkway right now.
Thanks so much for the help!

o

• Posted by mytime 3/4 Alaska (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 20:42

Yeah, you don't want it anyplace you could accidentally run into it! I foolishly planted strawberries under one...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here