Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melelio

What's this 5 lobed leaf tree?

melelio
13 years ago

Nope, not Sweetgum.....the leaves are rounded. It was an immature tree, about 8 feet high, in a park here in Maryland. I really liked it but can't find this leaf shape on any site so far....help me out?

Image link:

Comments (9)

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

It would be good to be able to see the twig itself. Are all the leaves consistently like it?

Could be an oak tree whose leaves got misshapen due to some environmental condition (e.g., herbicide).

• melelio
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ha! That's IT! I'd never have found that LOL

So it is a form of Sweetgum....wonder how common they are? I have no idea where the park got it; it was planted, not growing wild.

THANKS!!!

• carol23_gw
    13 years ago

This cultivar is used as a street tree in Pennsylvania. It's native but does not cause the liability of the fruit on sidewalks and paths. I've seen many homeowners remove species Sweetgum trees because of the fruit litter. One person owned a dog that would not walk outside due to the sharp fruit on the ground.

• Iris GW
    13 years ago

Wow, that is cool!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

These have been round a long time, but still not known well by the public for some reason. The ones that I've seen are sort of sorry looking in their youth but soon develop into a lovely tree. Beautiful fall color.

• Robert Weston
    5 years ago

Just had some neighborhood ash trees removed due to Ash bore disease (locally devastating). These were planted by the Twp in their stead. Have been very observant during our evening walks on the lookout for Spotted Lantern Fly (SLF) nymph and egg masses. These have been first sighted in my county (Berks, SE PA) in 2014 and can potentially wipe out PA hardwood and grape industry. Learn about these pests and be active to help control

This is a stage 4 instar (nymph), the earlier three are black with white dots. They are plant hoppers and create "honeydew". If you have a sticky patio and yellowing leaves with black sooty mold... Check for these and report.
    (Stage 1 instar next to a jumping spider for size comparison).

Egg masses are flat often cracked puddy like mudpatches and are covered rows of eggs. Scrap these off with a credit card and into a plastic bag with isopropyl alcohol. I have my own patent pending concoction using listerene, Irish spring sliver, dawn dish soap and lemon jc that I clean my honeydewed decks with. It leaves an anti mosquito and anti spider invisible film and cleans sticky surfaces better than anything ever. Reach out for my recipe or buy some in a spray I've for sale.

Eradicate Spotted Lantern Fly's!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    5 years ago

Robert, you cannot spam the gardenweb. I suggest that you remove this inappropriate comment and try to find a better place to sell.

• Embothrium
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

And learn pertinent things like the fact that the new pest insect problem is called emerald ash borer and not "Ash bore disease".

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus