Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pgeis

Name this 5-lobed red flower on woody vine - please!

pgeis
10 years ago

I fell in love with this plant while in the chaos of moving and remodeling, so bought it, then promptly lost track of it's name. The man who sold it to me -- who has since left for graduate school in another state -- said that he has only seen this color once before; the blossomes are usually white - and maybe yellow?.

I was told the plants are adaptable, growing as a vine if there is something to climb on, if not, then growing as a bush. They like consistent moisture and sunshine -- but will adapt to drier and shadier conditions. In warm climates they are perennials, don't like freezing weather, but sometimes will survive outdoors in our zone 5. He recommended that I bring it in this winter, but thought it might be able to adapt to our winters if I plant it in the spring and then protect it for its first outdoor winter. He also said they like more light than is usually available indoors, but may thrive on my sunporch with skylight.

What IS this beautiful and adaptable plant? Any tips for helping it survive a winter indoors? Can I really plant it outdoors and expect it to survive a Massachusetts winter?

Thank you!

Comments (6)