Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crap207

ID this GIANT Lime (citrus)

crap207
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Long time admirer of gardenweb, first time poster. I wanted help identifying this citrus, based on its fruit. I've attached pictures if they help.

This thing was HUGE. It looked like a lime, and indeed when you scratch the surface and smell it, it has the aroma of a lime. When I opened the fruit (sorry don't have pictures), the peel was VERY thick (about 0.5-0.75 inches). The pulp was very sour and tasted essentially like a lime. And it had seeds as well (which I planted and have since grown into a few seedlings). Unfortunately, the seedlings are still tiny, and don't have their true leaves yet, so I don't think they would be of much use in helping with the identification.

The tree was one I saw locally here in southern California on a walk through the neighborhood on a college campus. It may have been grafted to a dwarf variety, or the tree may have been young, but it was only about 5-6ft tall and 5-6ft wide. It didn't have too many of these fruits on it, maybe 10 or so. They seem to get this big in one growing season, because when I went back to the same tree in the next growing season, it had new fruit of about the same size as the one shown below, but it was still quite green and hadn't "ripened."

As you can see this thing is HUGE for a lime! Its was a little over 6 inches long, and about 5 inches wide! The other fruit that were on the tree at the time were about the same size as the one I picked.

I have no idea what this thing is, and I would rather not have to wait a few years for the seedlings to grow up for me to find out. I've researched it online as much as I could and have no answers. To my completely untrained and ignorant eye, it seems somewhat like a kaffir lime, but MUCH bigger. Similar kind of texture on the outside. I don't think its any type of citron, because I have had citron fruit, and the aroma of the peel is much different. This fruit definitely had the smell of a lime peel when scratched.

Sorry about the long post. Hope there's helpful info in there to help someone ID this for me. I appreciate it in advance!

Thank you kindly,
-Sam

Comments (29)

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a photo of the biggest seedling. Hope it helps. Looks like it just got its first set of leaves.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Ok. Should have looked first. Maybe a Merdeka, hystrix (kaffir lime) and the citrus macrocarpa (calamansi) hybrid.

This post was edited by Gyr_Falcon on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 0:42

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I was thinking initially too. But these fruits are HUGE! Do kaffir limes even get this big? From pictures I've seen, they seem to be in the size range of a lime/lemon. Also, their leaves seem to have a distinct "double lobe" to them, like in the picture I found online (below). The seedling I grew from the fruit doesn't have that kind of a leaf.

• gyr_falcon
    9 years ago

Sorry, I was editing while you where posting. :)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Ugli fruit?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

You should take a pic of the entire plant and a closeup of the leaves. Do the leaves have winged petioles? Are there thorns on the branches? How long?

Also, cut the fruit in half (like at the 'equator') and post a pic. Arrangement of the segments, thickness of the peel and number of seeds are helpful in identifying.

Citrus forum people would also be a good place to run this by.

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    9 years ago

That fruit looks like a citron (Citrus medica), one of the 3 original species from which all of today's citrus fruit are derived. I know OP says he is familiar with them, but there is a huge diversity of fruit form within the species, even on the same tree.

I've seen them commonly in India, where they're known as Madhankri, and are usually made into a sour but tasty pickle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus medica

This post was edited by shaxhome on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 11:55

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your help in trying to ID this citrus. The mystery of this plant continues.

I had a chance to go back and see the parent plant this morning and took some pictures to help with the identification. I admit I'm very inexperienced in citrus identification, but to my limited knowledge, the citrons don't have a winged petiole on their leaves as this plant does. So I doubt its a citron, although some of those varieties did look rather similar to this in terms of the fruit itself. It also does have thorns as you can see in the pictures below.

I took 5 pictures, but I don't know of a way to post more than once picture per post. So I will do 4 more posts below, one for each picture. I apologize if this violates forum etiquette. In included foliage, fruit, open and closed blossoms.

Thanks again for your help!

Photo 1 of 5:

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 2 of 5:

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 3 of 5:

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 4 of 5:

This particular fruit was a little bit smaller than the original one I took before and posted in my original post. This fruit probably measured about 5 inches or so in length and was probably the most "ripe" of the 15-20 fruits on the plant right now.

• crap207
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Photo 5 of 5:

Closed blossoms on the plant.

9 years ago

These are great photos and hopefully very helpful for someone knowledgeable in citrus IDing.

I would strongly suggest you link to this thread over on the Citrus forum. There are growers all over the world who might be able help you with this.

You might also cut a fruit so someone can see the inside -- number of seeds, thickness of rind, etc.

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

I'm not convinced it's a lime, actually. I am thinking it looks more like a lemon that simply hasn't ripened. We once ordered a Meyer lemon tree on line and the fruit was green for months.... all summer. I called the company, convinced they had sent us a lime tree in error. They didn't call me an idiot (at least not to my face) but they did explain that it takes them months to ripen and to expect that particular lemon to ripen in October. It did, and it has been blooming and producing fruit year round.

Although the nubby fruits you showed are not typical of most lemons, the texture could be the variety - either a "rough"lemon, or the Ponderosa lemon. If it's a lemon, it would be segmented inside just like other typical citrus if you cut it cross-wise. I would keep watch on it. My guess is over the next moth or so, the fruit will ripen to a nice bright lemon.

The flowers and thorns especially remind me of a lemon... we have had a couple of different lemon trees, including the aforementioned Meyer lemon, and the fruit can get quite large. Our Meyer is quite late to ripen this year, although we have one fruit starting to get some color just this week. The rest still look like little limes..

Some lemons bloom and produce fruit year round. Others produce ripe fruit by early summer and then rest. The blooms and buds you showed look exactly like ours and are generally quite fragrant and those thorns are typical. Watch out... they can be nasty!

Below is a photo of our newest Meyer lemon. We recently moved to California and had to leave all of our potted plants and our wonderful garden behind. You can see the one fruit on the left starting to ripen while the rest still look like limes.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Did anybody mention Ponderosa lemon yet?

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

Yes, kathyannd mentioned Ponderosa lemon in the post before yours. ;-)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    9 years ago

Oops! Thought I read them allâ¦.

• Tyler Kersten
    8 years ago

found these bad boys in the back of a friend's house while landscaping.

• Tyler Kersten
    8 years ago

Hmm... my photo's won't upload. I'll try later.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 years ago

start your own post tyler ... unless it adds to the prior ID .... ken

• dirtygardener73
    8 years ago

It may be a Rough Lemon. I just posted about these over on the Florida Gardening forum. They are a cross between a mandarin and a citron. It should get yellow as it ripens.

• HU-157835463
    4 years ago

I have the same fruit and tree! I had over 30 of them this year. And there as much pulp as fruit. They are kaffir lime. I purchased the tree from the grower when it was just 2 feet tall but was labeled kaffir and the leaves are kaffir, but the fruit is huge! I made jam from it this year which is very good. They are the size of soccer balls!

• Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Ponderosa lemons look like that. They are a citron ×pomelo crossing???

• Carla Noriega
    3 years ago

No, I don't think they are ponderosa lemons. I have the exact same tree and ponderosa lemons are rounder. We are also trying to find out what type of citrus they are.

• brian coutlangus
    2 years ago

I have the same thing and they are rock hard! It's growing under my lemon tree so i thought it was a self seeded but it's just like yours!

2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

brian, it could be Citrus macrophylla or Citrus × jambhiri -- both are used as rootstock for lemons.

• brian coutlangus
    2 years ago

That would make sense considering where i found it... Is the fruit edible? Maybe i just graft a piece of my lemon tree onto it?

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    2 years ago

Citron showing rind/pith.