Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilmonstermama

Shrub - Tree I.D. please help!

lilmonstermama
9 years ago

Planted on the west side, its approximately 20 ft. tall and blocks the blazing sun with very little water in our very sandy soil. Have only lived here from June thru now, October. Never noticed any flowers or berries. No scent from crushed leaves.Would like to plant another for more shade. Thanks to any who can help.

Comments (28)

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Does this picture go with this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Other picture

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.
    Here is a street view of the same plant.

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

Ilex cornuta Burfordii comes to my mind.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input carol23. The description of Ilex cornuta Burfordii certainly does fit except it seems to have a pretty distinctive leaf shape which I don't see on this shrub. Also, it doesn't have any berries which I think would be there in October. But thanks for your help.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

'Also, it doesn't have any berries which I think would be there in October'

Hollies have separate male and female trees. If this one is male it will never have berries whatever the time of year.

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

It appears as though each leaf has a spine at the end. That is why I thought Burford holly.
    Burford holly is the exception to the rule and is self fertile so perhaps your tree is another cornuta hybrid.

Here is a link that might be useful: self fertile Ilex cornuta 'Burfordii'

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

That's not an Ilex cornuta.

Are you in California?

Could it be California Laurel (Umbellularia californica)?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Carol23 - thanks, I didn't know that Burfords were self fertile. However, the link just says they don't need a male close by to pollinate them. But does that mean all Burfords are female and self fertile? Or does it mean that both male and female flowers are found on one tree?

Regarding the Umbellularia idea, the OP stated the leaves had no scent when crushed so that doesn't seem to fit either.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol23-
    I found this image of Burford Holly -URL below -and it's actually much more attractive than what I've got. Shinier, shapelier leaves.
    Thanks again, though.

http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/treesandpowerlines/images/ilex_cornuta_burfordii_foliage_big.jpg

FloralUK- thanks for the info about the berries, I feel like I should have known that, lol!

Dave in Nova- Yes, I am in CA-maybe that info will prove helpful in solving this.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I clipped a sample of the leaves-determined they are alternate. Here is a pic-maybe it will help

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a single leaf

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

Prunus caroliniana?

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I think that's it, even the leaf veins are right. Monrovia nursery continues to list a couple compact and/or erect forms that - since this operation supplies garden centers - your tree is probably one of, either 'Monus' or 'Compactus'.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBoy-
    Hmmm.. this is really tricky isn't it?! I suppose that could be it but I'm reading that Prunus Caroliniana has black berries in fall and white flowers in early spring but there is no sign yet of any fruit forming. Maybe I'm too hung up on this point, because as a previous responder said I could have a male plant (which would not fruit). Thank You for the suggestion- I'm not discounting it just yet.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Prunus don't have separate male and female plants like Hollies do.

But a tree may fail to flower or fruit for many reasons so, while flowers or fruit can aid id, lack of them is not a key to id.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Upright forms of Carolina laurel cherry look just like your tree. It will not be a kind that never flowers, the fact that you haven't seen any on this one does not cancel out its growth and vegetative characters.

This post was edited by bboy on Wed, Oct 15, 14 at 14:16

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

Prunus caroliniana leaves have a faint smell of marischino cherries when crushed.

I'm used to seeing these with just a few serrations on the leaves and the leaves appearing more glossy and darker green, but it may be because it's growing in a dryer region?

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Thu, Oct 16, 14 at 10:18

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave- Oh, hence the common name, Cherry Laurel! This leaf just smells green... like a leaf.

Bboy- I was so ready to conclude that it was most likely a stressed out, non-flowering Cherry Laurel.

Just thought of something- could it be that a plant that doesn't flower also doesn't produce the scent of flowers? I mean it kind of sounds sensical (my word, lol) but maybe it's non.
    Thank You Guys

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

'Just thought of something- could it be that a plant that doesn't flower also doesn't produce the scent of flowers?'

Flowers may have a scent or not. Leaves may have a scent or not. Flowers and leaves on the same plant do not necessarily smell alike.

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

Since it is near a sidewalk, the previous owner may have used a product to deter fruit production.

Look inside the canopy for signs of pruning. Heavy or regular pruning can deter flower/fruit production.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's certainly possible, Rugbyhukr

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

floraluk-
    'Flowers may have a scent or not. Leaves may have a scent or not. Flowers and leaves on the same plant do not necessarily smell alike.'
    So, I guess I can conclude it is not the Cherry Laurel because the leaves should have a scent regardless of whether it flowers?

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

I wouldn't rule out the possibility due to lack of scent.

The tree may be low in the compounds that provide the scent.

But it is also possible that it is not ID'd correctly. However, I still like Prunus caroliniana as a strong candidate.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rugbyhukr- Thank you. I'm not quite ready to rule out Prunus Caroliniana, either. Think I'll take a sample and pics down to the local nursery and see what they think.

• needinfo001
    9 years ago

Laurus 'Saratoga' - Saratoga Bay Laurel

here is a link to the tree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuqfBW8dd5Y&list=UUmuiGUY0MygCpmk5eurlN1g

Here is a link that might be useful: saratoga bay laurel

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Amanders told us 'No scent from crushed leaves' so Laurus nobilis is very doubtful.

• lilmonstermama
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Needinfo001 for the suggestion and the link! The Bay Laurel in the video is about a half hour from me. I'm still not sure what I have but have discovered a great resource about what does well in my area.

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

A similar tree in your area is Prunus laurocerasus. But again is purported to have a cherry scent.

The red petioles would point to Prunus caroliniana between the 2 species.

Keep looking to see if you can confirm an ID.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert