• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Viburnum?

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

Looks somewhat like hazel leaves to me.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

If the leaves are opposite one another then I'd say Viburnum also. Perhaps Viburnum dentatum.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

Korean Mountain Ash? Sorbus alnifolia

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I'm with OVG - leaves look very much like a hazel, Corylus sp. And they can get some pretty good fall color.

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

I don't see witchhazel leaves that sawtoothed and yet the veining pattern doesn't match the Korean Mountain Ash. The leaf looks very similar to Viburnum dentatum except I don't think dentatum has such a long leaf petiole. Why did the OP darvish ask what tree it is? Did they see the tree or are they assuming it's a tree?

• darvish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm assuming it is a tree. I took the picture but did not look at the plant closely enough. I should go back and look again. John

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

I'm not familiar with witchhazel (not reliable hardy here) but I do have several beaked hazels. That's what the posted picture reminds me of.

That said, it does resemble the viburnum dentatum.

This post was edited by ottawavalleygardener on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 19:53

• calliope
    9 years ago

It certainly looks like viburnum to me and the leaf arrangment in the photo does look like they are opposite, and that would rule out witch hazel.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

gal said hazel ...

you guys say not witch hazel ...

i am not a latin fiend.. but they are in two different families.. arent they????? hamm vs cordy???

i googled harry lauders walking stick ... since there might be twisty branching in the pic????

compare at link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Hi there,
    just by leaf shape I would rule out Hamamelis (witch hazel) for sure. And I have never seen any Corylus avellana (hazel) or Corylus colurna (tree hazel) showing that dramatic red in autumn.

The slight twist is funny, but could be caused by treatment, pruning etc.

I just did a web search for "viburnum species with red fall color", and V. dentatum or V molle look very promising.

another pic of the whole plant could help,

bye, Lin

• darvish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another view stepping back a little. The red leaves are only a small part of it.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

12 th pic at the link i gave above... is red leafed ... maybe even all season ...

and.. if i counted right.. the 26 pic shows red fall color... though i did not visit the link to verify its what we are talking about

see link for generic search for hazelnut fall color

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tolumniamatt
    9 years ago

That's a large shrub. I'm going with Viburnum dentatum and that's my final answer. Hazels do not have that kind of leaf veining.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Hazels do not have that kind of leaf veining.

Really? One of these is a corylus, the other a viburnum. Tell us which is which.

{{gwi:361504}}

{{gwi:361505}}

I'm not saying the plant in question is not a viburnum but the foliage also is very similar to corylus (which can get some intense fall color) and I can't see leaf arrangement clearly enough to determine just by that factor. To decide for sure, it would be most helpful to see any remains of flowers or fruit ---- that would definitely nail it.

• darvish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this help?

• darvish
    Original Author
    9 years ago

or maybe this

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

The last pictures reveal all - Viburnum. There are clearly the remains of berry stalks.