Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nighthelyn

Please help identify - trying to save office plant

Nighthelyn
9 years ago

Dear all,

Would appreciate help in identifying the plant in my office. It was given to me. I water it twice a week and plenty of sunlight but it's dying. Tried identifying it in easybloom.com so I can learn if I did something wrong but it's beyond me. Please help!

Cheers

-Nighthelyn

Comments (18)

• agathafroo
    9 years ago

Uhhhhhh...Jade Plant?

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I'm thinking more like Sedum clavatum (Echeveria amoena) or similar.

Probably needs more light, less water. Looks like roots are dead or dying from soggy soil. That pot holds the water in it.

• party_music50
    9 years ago

It looks like a leggy jade plant that needs more light and less water!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

go to wally world.. buy a new one ... for like 2 bucks ... buy some new cactus media ... take this one home on friday ...

moisten some new media for an hour or so ......dispose of old ... wash out pot completely ... scrub all the salts out of it ... repot the new ...

bring it to work on monday... declare yourself a savior when asked.. and demand a 50% raise ... see where that gets you ... lol ...

in the mean time.... if you want to save this thing .... and IF its a jade... boy i never seen one this bad ...

denude it of the media.... put it in a smaller pot... with some of the new moist media ... and ignore it for a month or two ...

you say no way ... i say.. yes way .... one of the few plants.. that thrive on benign neglect and NO WATER ... in fact ... you will kill it.. with too much water... IF it is a jade ...

more info and care in the houseplant forum .... and maybe someone who recognizes it...

good luck with the raise and all.. lol

ken

ps: the reason it is not thriving previously.. on the mentioned benign neglect.. is that i suspect the media is worn out ... perhaps full of salts ... etc .... it is not in proper media for this plant .... which is not uncommon at point of sale ... it looks like too much peat..

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

I would remove the leaves from this plant, (bend them sideways/downward, they'll pop off of the stem,) lay them somewhere safe, dry, until they start making roots and baby plantlets, then lay on top of a fresh pot of soil with a drain hole in the bottom. Water when dry, at a sink so excess water can drip away, then let it dry again. Never let water sit in the drip tray.

This plant looks etiolated (stretched from insufficient light,) making it hard to recognize. It may never be able to grow well in its' current spot. A plant more accepting of the lower light conditions in the office would probably be more enjoyable, at least in this particular spot, than watching this one struggle.

The cacti/succulent and house plant forums are where folks go to discuss plants like these in greater detail.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

It's definitely not a jade. (The leaves are different, and this plant doesn't have opposite leaves, as a jade does.)

• party_music50
    9 years ago

I would not denude it. I'd remove the dead stem on the right and remove all loose leaves/debris from the top of the soil. I'd make sure the pot has a drainage hole, and if not I'd repot in a similar-size pot that has good drainage. I'd then place the plant in very bright light -- either under artificial lighting or in a south-facing window (I'm in the north :) and stop watering it so much.... I only water my jade plants when the soil is dry. They hate being over-watered!

• party_music50
    9 years ago

missingtheobvious, the leaves are opposite. Look more closely... it's just that the plant has bent and twisted trying to reach light.

• missingtheobvious
    9 years ago

party_music, I'd need to see a better photo to be convinced of that. In any case, it's not a jade.

• agathafroo
    9 years ago

Now I really really want to know what kind of plant that is! Lol

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

Looks like a leggy Echeveria. If not reaching for light, it would have that tight rosette that is more familiar.

Popping off the leaves, letting them scarify and replanting them is a good idea. The root system may be too compromised from the excessive watering to survive and the leaves could soon be compromised if they are not harvested.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

didnt i say to denude the stem ...IF YOU WERE GOING TO TRY TO ROOT IT???

exposing nodes under the soil ... where roots would appear.. but removing leaf tissue that might rot and intro disease before that happens ...

no matter what the ultimate ID is ... i am not convinced on the jade myself ....all the suggestions are plants that do not like a lot of water .... and the media remains old and stale ...

ken

• Nighthelyn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thx for the messages everyone - especially appreciate very prompt responses.

With a bit of help from my colleague today I did what was advised (cleared dead leaves, wash and clear pot, keep soil moist and not overwater, repositioning the plant to have more sun. I may go buy some better soil and smaller pot later if it revives down the track) Here's another picture which hopefully shows the plant looks a little more alive (and is it jade or leggy whatsit??)

Thx again to all you greenhats!

Cheers

-Nighthelyn
    (Sydney, Australia)

• Gigi85
    9 years ago

It is definitely an echeveria of some sort. I fear you may still have problems with that soil. Hopefully I am wrong. Good luck!

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Though I can't say what variety it is, but it does look like the typical succulent house plants that do not need too much water. Your last pic shows a very good soaking which is good for other plants, but may affect this one negatively.

Anyway, it's good to learn about, but try to stay on top of it and if it looks in bad health again, just reduce some of the watering. It looks like the office mascot by this time.

I do want to comment that until you could properly identify it, it looks like it may be leggy either because of lack of proper lighting before, or it might be one of those plants that "trails", so if it starts toppling over again, that might just be its attempt to be more horizontal than vertical, and not necessarily because of lack of water.

I mention this because while in the original pic, it was being more horizontal (for which we don't know the exact reason yet), but in the second pic, you have planted it as a more vertical. It could be that it is a trailing plant.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

I would put it in a 4 inch plastic pot NOW! The ceramic pot is way too big and it will stay wet too long to do it any good.

• Gigi85
    9 years ago

It is definitely an echeveria of some sort. I fear you may still have problems with that soil. Hopefully I am wrong. Good luck!

• Gigi85
    9 years ago

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living