Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Prostrate Plants with Tiny Pink Flowers

Posted by jekeesl Central AR 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 23:09

The prostrate plants to the right of the binoculars had leaves about a half inch long. They were in a wooded depression that usually stays wet. The leaves were opposite at nodes and whorled at stem ends. The pink flowers were sessile at nodes and in groups of 1 to 3. The four petals were equal-sided triangular in shape and about the size of the head of a pin. Most of the plant was covered in short hairs. Fruits were round when young, but dramatically widened as they matured. A flower is shown at the center of the second photo. The last photo shows a mature fruit and the red buds of two unopened flowers.

photo 030-1.jpg

photo 010-3.jpg

photo 027.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Prostrate Plants with Tiny Pink Flowers

Stellaria sp?

o

I believe it's Diodia virginiana, Virginia buttonweed.

If it is a Diodia, then your tiny pink flower would have to be ... maybe the base of a seed capsule whose top has fallen off? And your unopened flower buds would be less mature seed capsules. (It's trying to take over my front lawn, but I haven't studied its anatomy in detail.)

In any case, it seems unlikely there would be unopened buds and nearly-mature seed capsules cheek-by-jowl on the same part of the stem. You could go back and dissect those parts of the plant, to see what's inside.

Nice photos here:
http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/species/divi3.htm

Also here, but unfortunately not of the seed capsule:
www.florabymax.net/ FLORAbyMAX/ Family-pdfs/ FLORA-P-Z/ Rubiaceae (Madder Family).pdf

o

Doesn't seem to be Stellaria, because those are petiolate. Not Diodia virginiana, because that usually has two sepals. Not D. teres either (lacks those bristles under the flowers and fruit). Those pink flowers and fruits remind me of Rotala ramosior. I wonder if this is Rotala indica? That species is prostrate, has 2-valved capsules, and leaves of similar size. Anybody familiar with that Asian import?

o

Think these are bloomed out, as missingtheobvious said, and that the true ID is likely Oldenlandia boscii. It seems to be a full match.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here