Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new plant! please help :)

Posted by jay3369 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 0:19

I stopped in on a bonsai shop today and found this beauty to add to my indoor plant collection. It has very small flowers which seem to be made up of clusters of even smaller flowers (plantception). It's stems are reddish and the leaves have slightly darker 'v' markings on them that sort of resemble the white markings clovers sometimes get. It is probably in desperate need of a good trimming but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I start snipping heh if anyone could assist me in naming this plant I'd be so grateful!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new plant! please help :)

Persicaria sp

o

Likely a form of Persicaria virginiana. The leaf shape matches. There are apparently a number of cultivars -- more common in Europe than the U.S. (the OP is in Canada).

I didn't find a white-flowered variety with such a short/round inflorescence.

o

The flowers are not consistent with P virginiana, nor is the leaf size. I think I'd go with Persicaria capitata/Ploygonum capitatum. I'm pretty sure it will not be happy indoors without supplemental lighting. Possibly why it's already showing signs of stress. Pink flowers can become pale with lack of light. Invasive in warm regions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Persicaria

This post was edited by floral_uk on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 8:45

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here