Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fathim_zazu

May I please know the name of this orchid and how to take care of

fathim_zazu
9 years ago

I bought this plant a few days back. Half of the plant was in direct sunlight and it burnt the flower and all the new buds. Now i got it in the shade. But how do I take care of it?

Comments (11)

• alisonoz_gw
    9 years ago

please take a photo of the whole plant and particularly the leaves. You can post multiple photos here, if you don;t know, people can help you do it.

• fathim_zazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the whole plant. You can also see the stem which was burnt due to the sun.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    looks much like the terrestrial orchid Spathoglottis . Google that genus name will give you culture info.
    I grow mine in pots with a mix of coir and fir bark fines.
    They love heat ,humidity and lots of water BUT must drain well. I find they flower better in full sun but I do give them a half shade during summer
    In your area I'd bet they'd make a fantastic bedding plant?? gary

• fathim_zazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The flowers and the stem burnt in full sun. I do not want the whole plant to burn. How do I give it sunlight then? And how do i make it bloom new flowers?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

pretty sure there is an orchid forum ...

figuring out what caused burn.. when it was not in your possession is speculative ...

i might wonder about the fertilizer ... and the sun ... and how old the media is.. and if it was properly watered... etc ..

and in the last pic above.. no .. i dont see a burnt stem ... just a little tip burn.. is that all you are talking about????

and if you are not talking about .... what looks like a stick ... could that be an old flower stalk???

i dont grow orchids.. so i am not sure ... but i wanted to point out that there are a lot of options beyond you presumption ... at this point..

i expected to see a plant singed within an inch of its life.. frankly.. yours looks pretty good..

i wish you luck

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

As Gary said, in the Maldives couldn't you just plant them outside in the garden?

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi
    I'm with ken lol I don't see any "sunburn" if referrring to the "stick " and it is a spathoglottis it's probaly a spent flower stalk, I' m guessing from the flower pic that it is a hybrid from the color.
    Have no idea about your climate but these originate in Malaysia must be very similar at least temp wise??
    Google the genus name Spathoglottis , will help ID it as well as give you all kinds of culture info for your area
    There are gazillions of kinds of orchids with gazillions of kinds of growth habits. What did they say it was when you bought it?? How were they growing them?? Local sources are always best . gary

• fathim_zazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We have no space in the capital to plant the trees outside because it is full of buildings. It is only possible in the islands. Moreover the burnt stem i referred to, as you can see in my first picture those orchids were blooming on that flower stalk when I first got it. But after I put it in the sun, the buds , flowers and the stalk burnt.

• dirt_farmer
    9 years ago

Hi,

I destroyed two of my orchids from sunburn. You would think being tropical that they would love the sun. I guess in the jungle the light intensity is not that strong below the tree canopy were they grow. I know that doesn't help with your plants but i thought it would be comforting to know that this happens to others as well. good luck !

• fathim_zazu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes. I spoke to the people who sold it to me. It seems that they grow all the plants under a thin net which only lets partial sunlight to pass through. So if they are suddenly put under direct sunlight, then they will burn. Instead they have to be given little direct light everyday until they are fully adapted to it. Sigh. I should have known earlier.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you want to learn... take a look at the link ...

it might be to your advantage.. to use some in your yard ... its apparent your seller knows where to get it ... the setup does not need to be all that complicated .... but it does have to be weather proof ....

for example.. for my hosta... 50% shade cloth is wonderful ... it not only creates shade.. but also keeps sun off pots... and so.. aids in water management ...

i have no clue what would be appropriate for your area... nor your crop ...

below is a pic of some that i rigged up ... to keep my red headed boy.. from frying in the sun... while playing in the sand/mud ... my biggest weather concern was snow load in winter ... which ended up not being an issue ...

the easy way to avoid burn... is to insure.. that the plants are out of direct sun.. in the heat of the day ... the theory.. that at some point.. the roots cant process enough water for the plant to cope with the heat.. and the tissue is damaged ... so allowing them full sun.. but for say noon to 4 pm ... you are well on your way to avoiding such ... though it might still be hot thru 6 pm ... you have avoided the worst time of the day ...

the point being... it can be a water management issue.. as well as the sun itself ....

i wish you luck

ken

take a guess... did he play in the shade... ohhhh noooo ... worked around it .. lol...

{{gwi:250981}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery