Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_yogini

What's wrong with my spider plant?

garden.yogini
9 years ago

This is my boyfriends spider plant. When he bought it was HUGE and it did not have the brown tips or sparseness that it has now. I know this isn't a diagnosing plant problems, but you guys are always so helpful! I don't know a whole lot of the type of care this plant gets but I suspect it needs more water. It also could be root bound? The other thing is that the water in his neighborhood seems pretty high in chlorine and the like but I'm only speculating. It leaves big water rings/salt deposits. Let me know if you have a speculation or idea, it's much appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (6)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

I think it dried out too often. These are really tough plants and they can even live in water for a while.

It might be needing more light too, the lack thereof tends to make the foliage more tender and prone to dehydration.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Looks like it's suffering from being rootbound and/or fluoride toxicity. There are many discussions about spider plants on house plant forum.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i am positive.. its root bound ... wouldnt be surprised if there is little or no media in the pot ...

and that is why you are having watering issues ... as there is nothing to hold the water for a few days so the plant can soak it up ...

also.. when it is such.. the only way to water.. is to use an old dish washing pan and let it soak in tepid water.. until what is left of the media.. can soak up some ambient water... usually a couple hours ...

do such ... and compare the weight of the pot.. to your watering protocol ... and you will be amazed.. how heavy a properly watered plant is ...

what i do ... is every late spring.. when its time to take them outside for summer ... i harvest the babes... the best of the lot ... 3 for a pot that size.. unless you want to make other baskets for friends ... get some new media.... clean out the pot... and plant the 3 babes .. and leave it alone for summer...

by fall.. it will have filled the pot with roots.. and will start to spider.. by the time i bring them in for winter ...

in the alternative... get three 8 oz solo cups.. cut drainage .. and root up the babes ... and by the time they root down.... pot them up as above ...

you can use scissors to clip off the brown ends.. to make it LOOK nicer.. but if you dont solve the media/watering issue... it will all happen again ...

though they dont mind low light level... being that close to the ceiling.. in an interior corner... doesnt help ... but i surely know.. that is where the hook is... lol ... and who needs more holes in such ....

agree this should have been in the garden clinic or houseplant forums... but who cares ... if you like us.. we like you ... lol

start rooting some new ones.. so you can mess around with this one ...

good luck

ken

ps: with trailing plants such as this ... mother will be sacrificed for the babes.. and that is why she is showing damage.. but not them ... when they start showing damage... you have giant problems ....

Here is a link that might be useful: something like what i use.. think dollar store???? ... when dry.. my plant will actually float in the pan for about an hour.. before it starts soaking up water ... and that defines your base problem ...

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

"mother will be sacrificed for the babes"

No, Chlorophytum is not monocarpic.

9 years ago

i didnt mean that literally ... nor scientifically, purp ... and i suspect you know that ...

i was pointing out.. all the damage is to momma.. yet the babes still look fat and happy ....

so harvest them.. and get a move on transferring your love to the babes ..

i never really have an overwhelming sentimentality to retaining a certain plant ... IF ... i clone it .. and the babes.. ARE THE SAME PLANT.... so no reason i cant rejuvenate it ... and still have all the memories ... and note.. i am only left with houseplants that i can do that with ... lol

and when that is accomplished... throw momma from the train ... out the back door.. hopefully into 3 or 4 feet of snow ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

9 years ago

i didnt mean that literally ... nor scientifically, purp ... and i suspect you know that ...

i was pointing out.. all the damage is to momma.. yet the babes still look fat and happy ....

so harvest them.. and get a move on transferring your love to the babes ..

i never really have an overwhelming sentimentality to retaining a certain plant ... IF ... i clone it .. and the babes.. ARE THE SAME PLANT.... so no reason i cant rejuvenate it ... and still have all the memories ... and note.. i am only left with houseplants that i can do that with ... lol

and when that is accomplished... throw momma from the train ... out the back door.. hopefully into 3 or 4 feet of snow ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists