Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cal_00

Rapid Growing Yellow Leafs in Spring. Upward Growth...Forsythia?

Cal_00
10 years ago

Hi, I have this shrub in my front lawn that I'm trying to identify.The shrub is 8 years old and is a rapid grower. During the growing season it must be trimmed every other week. The leaves are yellow in the spring and turn green in the summer. In the fall the leaves don't have any special color. They turn a dull yellow/orange color and fall off. The branches seem to all come directly from the ground (roots) and shoot upwards, no weeping at all. I was thinking it might be a type of Forsythia but I'm not 100% sure on it. This is the only picture I have of it with the leaves still attached from this summer. Thanks

Forgot to add...It is trimmed to around 5-5.5' but is capable of 8-9' and maybe more. Not sure if this helps with identifying but just thought I'd add.

(Between the Alberta Spruce and 2 Golden Globe Arborvitaes on the left)

This post was edited by Cal_00 on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 0:53

Comments (17)

• linaria_gw
    10 years ago

Any chance for a close up of an older stem + buds on a twig? Otherwise folk here could only start jolly guessing....

Bye, Lin

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Forsythia has can't-miss-'em bright yellow flowers in the spring; it blooms on bare stems. Leaves begin to appear while the shrub is still flowering. The new leaves are green, though: not yellow.

There are variegated forsythias (yellow and green foliage) and even a forsythia with yellowish leaves, but from what I've read of them, none have leaves which change color in the way you describe.

Are the leaves opposite or alternate on the stem? Forsythia has opposite leaves.

What about flowers?

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the replies, I will go out tomorrow morning and take pictures of the stems. The leaves are in a alternate pattern I believe. Again, this is the only picture of it I have with full foliage. Thanks again.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

The bark, buds and structure are all indicators of a plant's species. Even with no foliage we could probably id it for you. Certainly we'd be able to say if it was Forsythia.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

and if it IS Forsythia (which it looks like), the basal suckers will have to be continually removed in that situation.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

"....the basal suckers will have to be continually removed in that situation...." I don't see why, shadyplace. If it is Forsythia it is a shrub, not a tree. They are the new growth which will enable rejuvenation pruning to take place in the future. They are not from a root stock and in that situation nor are they likely to form a self layering thicket - which only happens with F suspensa anyway. This looks too stiff in habit to be that one. Plus the stem which is most visible looks alternate and the OP believes it to be so too.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

OK I will certainly agree with you! I just know that mine suckers and as you say must be suspensa. Sorry for my input.

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just went out and got some pictures. I was wrong when I said it had a alternate leaf pattern. It appears that the leafs are opposite to one another in clumps of 2-3. Here are the pics.

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Up close

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another up close of a stem cutting

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another up close of a stem cutting

This post was edited by Cal_00 on Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 12:35

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the white spots make me think forsythia.. but at 14 degrees.. i am not walking out to compare to mine.. lol ...

a failsafe check.. would be to cut some branch ends.. and put them in a vase.. and they will bloom in a week or so ... if they have had enough chill time ...

if they confirm forsythia.. google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs..

and get to work ...

you would remove all the largest branches as close to the ground as you can get ... ... looking at yours.. w/o a scale.. remove everything greater than 3/4 of an inch ... and see what you can make of it

and stop pruning it at height ... that is part of your base problem ...

and after 2 years of rejuvenation ...

either decide you like where you are going with it ,...

OR GET RID OF IT ... you really dont have to keep things that bother you ....

the ones you forced into bloom ... will root inside a month or so.. so lucky you.. you can have more of them ... lol ...

in all reality.. no matter what it is.. you could probably cut it to 3 inches.. ALL OF IT ... and have a nice smaller plant in spring.. though if you do it now.. you will cut off all the flowers.. so no spring show..

and that is why you could cut it to the ground..as soon as it is done blooming ...

you will probably be pleased with the result ... or you will get rid of it ....

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Definitely Forsythia. It could do with a good rejuvenation pruning AFTER it flowers (and it's going to, it's covered in flower buds.) It's very congested and looks as if it has been clipped into a blob shape rather than pruned as it should have been. Next year you can take out some of the dark barked stems right to the ground. Leave the green stems and some of the brown or you will have no flowers in 2015.What you saw in the spring must have been flowers after all.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, shearing forsythias into balls takes away the fountain shape that is a large part of their appeal.

• Cal_00
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all thw help and info. Now that I know what it is I can start trimming and taking care of it properly with some research.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Now that I know what it is I can start trimming

==>>> no.. no..no ...

words mean things....

this thing needs a PRUNING ...

its base problem.. is that it has been TRIMMED.. too much ...

prune at the ground.. trim at height ....

you might think i am splitting hairs ... but when you understand the difference between the two words..

you will be on the verge of understanding where you need to go ...

and it begins.. by understanding what bboy said...

at the link.. look at the NATURAL FORM of the plant.. its glorious ...

the 11th pic is yours.. its been trimmed.. its not glorious.. and that is what your gut is telling you ....

the 28th pic [drag you window so you have 5 pix across ]... is a sublimely pruned plant ... though i have to admit.. i have never been that anal about it ...

just go after it.. you couldnt kill this thing if you parked a cement truck on it for two years ...

and do try forcing some blooms in late january ....

good luck

ken

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Judging by the other plants in the image it would seem the OP is trying to preserve the view and or prefers tightly clipped or dwarf shrubs. That plant is the exact opposite and probably should be relocated to another area or perhaps to a friends yard?

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County