Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant with Little Purple Flowers

Posted by booboobearbecky Zone 3 (Northern WI) (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 0:31

This plant grows wild in our area, but I'm not sure what it's called.

It self seeds in zone 3/4.
It gets 2 to 3 feet tall.
The flowers are light purple.
Grows in sun and part sun areas.
Not invasive, but it can withstand weedy areas.
It blooms from mid summer to late fall.

Thanks.
Becky

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant with Little Purple Flowers

Either Eurybia macrophyllus or Symphyotrichum cordifolium.

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 20, 08 at 10:39

I believe it is the Eurybia macrophylla.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eurybia macrophylla

o

giantslug and susanc-

You're right! It IS Eurybia Macrophyllus/Macrophylla! Common name...Large Leaved Aster. I compared my photos of the plant to those on the web with the name you suggested and it matches perfectly! To think...I spent 3 years with my native plant book in the woods and meadows of our property trying to figure that out! I flipped through my plant books in frustration thinking well "I could go with this one," or "I could go with that one," and after I while I decided, "I could go without," and just called it the Plant With Little Purple Flowers.

And now, thanks to you smart cookies I can give this plant it's correct name! Yippeeee!

In the area I live in (Northern WI), the Large Leaved Aster appears along the woodlines and open meadow areas. It's very pretty when it blooms. It also looks great in the back borders of my flower beds.

Thanks for your help with giving my mystery plant it's correct name!

Becky

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here