Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiger228

Could you tell me the names of these 6 plants?

tiger228
10 years ago

There are many plants in the backyard of my home and I don't know their name. Could you name them for me? Thank you.

Comments (41)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

The pictures are rather small for id purposes but here are some suggestions.
    1. Oenothera biennis (possible)
    2. Dianthus barbatus (definite)
    3. Solanum dulcamara (likely)
    4. Too little visual info.
    5. No scale but could be Muscari
    6. Conium maculatum (possible)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i cant believe flora can even guess with the size of the pix ...

its either too early in the morn.. or too much coffee... but i can not see any detail in the pix with my not so old eyes ...

though that flower in 2 is definitive ...

closer pix.. with a common scale if you would like specificity ... anything we all know.. lighter.. pen ... doesnt have to be any special scientific instrument ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Knowing what state you are in could help with ID if you are still in question after Flora's suggestions. For #5, if you are in the southern part of the country, I'd compare to spider plant, Chlorophytum comosum.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

4's foliage reminds me of forget-me-not.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

with my NEW cataracts number four looks like a possible allium, #6 a corydalis, or greater celandine or a weed.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Floral,
    Thank you very much for your help. I am sorry for the small picture because I don't know how to upload more than one picture in this website. #2 is Dianthus barbatus . I need to confirm #1, #3 , #5 and #6. I uploaded a big picture for #4.
    I also thank Ken, Purpleinopp, Missingtheobvious and Shadeyplace.

Tiger228

This post was edited by tiger228 on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 16:17

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

tiger, if you have a Photobucket account, each photo has several different codes. Copy the photo's html code and paste it into your GardenWeb post where you'd like the photo to be. Then do the same for any other photos you want to put in that post.

If you can see the photo(s) in Preview Message, that's what we'll see in the final post. If not, try again. GW has a Test forum where you can experiment.

I haven't used any of the other free photo-hosting sites, so I can't tell you what to do for photos on those sites.

10 years ago

"I need to confirm #1, #3 , #5 and #6." Do you doubt the suggestions already given for these? It may be less confusing to give each plant still in question its' own discussion.

Imageshack works the same way as Missing described.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Well 4 is clearly not a Forget-Me-Not.

I suggest you compare my suggestions with Google images and see what you think.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

#4 possibly a woodland phlox?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I'm really suspecting 'weed' for no. 4 since it is amongst grass and has a healthy dandelion growing alongside. It's got to be something pretty tough. Could we have a close up of the terminal bud? Can I see a flower bud there?

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Missingtheobvious. I am trying to open a Photobucket account.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Purpleinopp,
    I have just been interest in plants recently and I don't have much experience. They are some difference comparing with google images. I think I could confirm them next spring when these plants are flowering.

Thank you

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Shadeyplace,

I think it is not a woodland phlox. Thank you.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Floral,
    I also think #4 may be weed and I want the 'weed' name.
    I didn't see flower bud now.

Thank you.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

tiger228 - if you are having trouble with Photobucket etc just put the pictures in successive postings here straight from your computer. For example, if you put up just no.1 we can see it better. Then put the next picture into 'Post a Follow-up'.

BTW I enlarged no 3 and am pretty sure I can see a red berry which would confirm Solanum dulcamara.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

That would be #5 for the red berry and Solanum dulcamara.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 14:44

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Labelled No 3 on my screen. Third one along on the top row.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Labelled No 3 on my screen. Third one along on the top row.

• missingtheobvious
    10 years ago

Apologies, flora. My confusion rather than yours.

• jeanne
    10 years ago

I think #1 is Gaillardia, Blanketflower and #4 is Saponaria officinalis, Bouncing Bet.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Yes, 1 could be Gaillardia - there is what might be a flowerbud visible.

But 4 is not Saponaria. These leaves are toothed which Saponaria is definitely not. They are also too small taking the fir cones and dandelion leaves as a scale.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Floral, Missingtheobvious ,Jeanne,
    Thank you very much for your informations. I am sure the #1 isn't Gaillardia because I saw one Gaillardia growing closed to #1. Their leave are different.I upload one new #1 picture. It is better the old one.

Thank you.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I'd say that's Oenothera biennis, as I first thought. Surrounded by mint.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Floral,
    It most looks like Oenothera biennis. But the google images show Oenothera biennis has flower and I have never seen it. This is why I can't define it.
    I uploaded one new #3 photo. It had many berries. It may
    be Solanum dulcamara . But I didn't see the purple flower which the google images showed them.

Thank you.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

the O. looks like my glazioviana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Oenotheras are complex, especially since they hybridise. But O glazioviana tends to have a reddish cast to the veins and leaf hairs. O biennis is commoner.

Both suggested Oenotheras are biennials so you wouldn't see a flower in the first year.

• shadeyplace
    10 years ago

thanks (wish I had your knowledge!)

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Floral.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I think#5 is Liriope, not spider plant. Spiders have a broader leaf.

10 years ago

Zackey, I think you're right. Looks like Liriope in the background of some of the other pics. One clump of spider plant wouldn't likely stay that way for the amount of time it would take to sell a house, new people move in & get around to wondering about the plants. It would have babies visible.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

To me no 5 looks like a bulb of some kind. The concave curve on the leaf blades, the apparent fleshy texture and the way one of the leaves has bent over don't look like either Liriope or Spider Plant to me. The OP could easily help us here by looking at the base to see if there is a bulb or roots. It would also help if the OP could tell us where the plants are situated.They look like fairly cool climate plants so Spider Plant would be an unlikely permanent outdoor plant.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi,Zackey, Purpleinopp

I think you are right, #5 is Liriope. Thank you.

Hi, Floral,
    Could you tell me what is the OP?
    Thank you.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

op = original poster ...

you in this case ...

so go do what floral told the OP to do ... lol ....

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

tiger228 - can you let us know why you are now sure about the Liriope? I am still not convinced. Has someone looked at it for you in person? I'd really like to see another picture closer up with a good idea of the leaf texture. Does it feel stiff and almost sharp a the edges? Or is it soft and a bit rubbery? Did you check the roots/bulb thing?

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi, Floral,

I have dug out one #5 from my backyard and I found the bulb. That means it is muscari armeniacum. You are correct and you are very professional.I have learnt a lot from you. Thank you very much.

Hi, Ken,
    Thank you.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I promise you I am not professional - I've just looked at a lot of plants over a lot of years. And I love puzzles.

• tiger228
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Floral. You are very smart.

10 years ago

I'm not making the leap to the specific Muscari ID - though definitely not Chlorophytum, or the Liriope I've found in my yard. There's more than one Muscari but I don't know how many.

I don't remember Muscari bulbs having such long/tall foliage but I moved away from where I had them in OH about 8 years ago, and they were all one kind. If memory serves, (and not sure it does,) they would have been dormant by now. Looks like some kind of Allium to me (easily confirmed or denied by a onion/garlic smell to a torn leaf.) I didn't read the whole thing again but the word odor or smell doesn't appear in the discussion to this point.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Purple, we don't know where the OP lives but judging by the fact that the Sweet William is in flower presumably the pictures were taken a little while back. In which case Muscari armeniacum would be in leaf. In some climates, including mine it is evergreen anyway. M armeniacum is by far the commonest and weediest of the Muscari and going by the overgrown look of the beds I doubt anything choice is likely to have survived there. Since all the white part of the foliage in the photo would have been under the ground the foliage doesn't look particularly long to me. As you say Allium would be easy to id by smell. But I'm still putting my money on the grape hyacinth.

10 years ago

That's good stuff, TY, Flora. The Muscari I had were probably something else. This made me curious enough to check 2 species quickly, sure enough M. americanum has flowers of a single color. The ones I had were 2-tone, the prevalently available one seems to be M. latifolium.

I'm especially glad I asked since an evergreen bulb should be able to survive here (whereas most of the spring-bloomers I knew from OH can't, not enough chill.) If I see M. americanum on the bulb racks, I'll give 'em a try.