Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scythe_gw

Need saving a plant

Scythe
9 years ago

It drops leaves. I water it every saturday at the roots and also spray water on the leaves. And i tried keeping it both in the dark and light to no avail.

It's kind of ficus i guess...

Comments (15)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Ficus benjamina.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

...or F. microcarpa. But culture would be the same.

The more light, the better. Even watering.

• Jasdip
    9 years ago

It doesn't look like a benjamina to me, unless that's a real close shot of the leaves.

Why do you water it "every Saturday"? Are you sure it needs watering on a religious schedule. Do you shove your finger in the soil to see if it even needs watering?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Yes, the leaves look small to me, but could be a trick of the camera angle. Maybe another pic with a scale object would help?

Forgot to say, putting the pot on some kind of stand to get it off of the cold floor could help also. I try to keep plants off of the floor because the floor is so much colder.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Scythe

You can find lots of info on House plants forum, you can start here:
    growing ficus-click here

(and Container Gardening forum would have lots of info too)

• CrazyPlantLady1
    9 years ago

They are known for dropping their leaves when stressed. So, you need to stop moving it and changing everything. Indoor temps/humidity should be fine. Believe me, I've 'loved' one of these to death by doing exactly what you have. They are tough and adaptable, but will drop leaves when/if you change temp, light or location. It's good advice to get it off the floor, but weekly watering should be fine. Just be patient with it and it will snap back on it's own. It may look shaggy until new spring growth appears, though. Start feeding it a good general purpose food in spring to help with fullness of growth. Good luck!

• RugbyHukr
    9 years ago

Also, the pot appears to sit directly on the floor with no saucer. Does the pot allow for drainage? Drainage is important for potted plants.

• Scythe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the info ... I am watering my plants on saturday because that's one of my days off so .. since i water my plants once a week i guess it fits to be on my day off :).

Here are some more pictures and info.

I did move it a little bit around after i bought it since i thought it needed more light at first but it kept loosing leaves. And it does stand directly on the floor and next to an outside door which might get a little bit colder... but for now it should be either light or warmth can't find a place big enough for the plant and have both.

The pot it's something special i bought which has a cover cotaining both the pot and the saucer at the bottom. In one of the picture you can see the water level at the bottom of the pot. What i don't know is how high should be the water there.

For now i see it doesn't do as bad as it did before .. but it doesn't show signs of improvement either.

• Scythe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

with a plastic spoon for size reference

• Scythe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

with the pot

• Scythe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and the last one with a close up for the leaves.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

the leaf shape seems wrong for benjamina;

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2118942}}

• socks
    9 years ago

I would move it to the brightest location you have. Then as jasdip above said, put your finger in the soil to see if it's still damp. If so, don't water, wait until the soil feels dry going down and inch or so.

You could be watering too much.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Scythe

I am not an expert, but looking at the photo of your plant 3 posts up, the soil looks to be damp with lots of salt deposits. I could be wrong.

I would advise you to post a new thread on Container Gardening forum:
    click here. There is excellent advice there about growing in containers, few members posting very good text & photo info.

Rina

• Scythe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes it was at the moment .. and in general is damp ... so i should wait for it to go dry before watering it?