Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greatworld

Please help ID this plant!

greatworld
9 years ago

I am relatively new to the plant world, I previously thought I lacked a 'green thumb'. Having taken care of multiple multiplying plants for a little over a year now, I am totally hooked! I particularly enjoy buying half dead plants from Home Depot and watching as they come back to life.

Unfortunately I am now dealing with this situation with one of my favourite plants...being a new 'plant mom', I was unable to leave precise enough instructions when I left on vacation, and came back to the poor thing barely hanging on for dear life.

Since it was one of my Home Depot/Rona buys, I was never sure exactly what kind of plant it was, and I feel that now it might be useful to know so I can give it the best care and the best chance at survival.

I am attaching a picture of one of the two leaves that are left. It is a vine-type plant, with purple-y green stalks (stems? yes, I'm that clueless), and beautiful purple colouring on the bottom of the leaves. At the behest of my plant-loving boyfriend, I took one of the last leaves as a clipping, to see if it'll root so I can start fresh.

Apologies for the long-winded post, and thanks in advance for any input or advice! My name is Jen, by the way :)

Comments (11)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Looks like a Begonia. Search 'Begonia leaf cuttings' for propagation. I wish you could show the stem as that would tell us if it was a Rex or cane type. If a cane type you could use the stem for cuttings.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

You said it was vine?

Begonias are not typically called vines.

Check out Cissus discolor ("Rex Begonia vine')

See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Cissus discolor

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 9:44

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Agree with Rex Begonia vine. When I brought mine inside last winter, it was not happy at all, losing most of its' foliage, but did survive. If you let yours dry out, put it in the best light you have, that would give it the best chance of staying alive until it can go back outside.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Aha - I was totally fooled by that one! I don't think I've ever seen one and UK references seem very scarce. I wonder why. It looks like a lovely thing.

• OttawaGardener
    9 years ago

greatworld, I find that the staff at Rona is better with the plants than Home Depot. They generally look after the plants and actually know what they are selling, even without labels. I've asked before, when the label says something useful like "tropical" :-)

• qqqq
    9 years ago

A vining plant with purple on the bottom of the leaves is indicative of tradescantia?

http://www.ourhouseplants.com/plants/wandering-jew-inch-plant

Also possibly strobilanthes.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    9 years ago

Flora, I hope you do sometime. It's pretty, and looks like Begonia, until you notice the tendrils, and that the plant is truly a vine. Feeling the leaves would probably be a clue too, but no way of knowing any of that from the pic.

Here's a pic that shows the back of the leaves.

• XIFA
    9 years ago

Probably Cissus discolor

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

I agree, rex begonia vine, Cissus discolor. Not a member of the begonia family at all, despite the resemblance of the leaves.

It's not uncommon for these to drop leaves when brought indoors for the winter. They weill dothis if the humidity indoors is too low, if they are near a heating vent (which tends to dry them out), or they are in a spot with not enough light. When they are brought indoors at the change of seasons, especially if you live in a climate with drastic changes in temperature and humidity with the seasonal change, they go into a semi-dormant or resting state and drop leaves.

If you can find the right place (sunny window, no heating vent underneath it to dry it out -- my big mistake) for the mother plant, it should come back with a vengeance. ;) If you can increase the humidity, even better. If it is in a resting state, the leaf may not root quickly. They root quickly in water during the active growing season, but when I've taken leaves to root after I've brought it indoors to keep it over the winter, I have had better luck using rooting hormone and sphagnum moss. The only problem is that you can't easily see if the stem is sending out roots.

One way I've managed to sort of get the best of both worlds is to root it in a narrow jar with very damp sphagnum moss. Dip the stem in rooting hormone and slide it down the side of the jar so it's mostly i the moss. Use your fingers to press the damp moss against it. Put a baggy over it loosely to help keep in the humidity. Wish you luck with rooting but the mother plant should refoliate with a little TLC, water, and good light.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

What a great plant! I don't think that I've ever heard of it before, certainly have never seen it.

All Cissus belong to the Vitaceae family.....grapes are the most famous member of the family.

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

Yes, it is related to the grape, and although it doesn't produce fruit, the mature plant does have a rather insignificant green bloom, much like the bloom of a grape vine. (Yes, I finally was able to snag pix of our grape vines blooming.... had them for years, easy to miss the blooms...)

I should also point out that when grown indoors, it is really prone to scale, mealy bugs, and spider mites, so again, humidity is important and watch the pant carefully for signs of bugs. At the first sign of anything growing that is not a part of the plant, I set the whole thing in the sink and after a good spray in the sink (if you have a spray nozzle on your sink), I give it a spray with a solution of canola and clear soap and water.