Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting has rooted in water...no idea what it is!

Posted by hangingupsidedown none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 13 at 5:32

Hi everyone,

I am relying on your expert knowledge to assist me with identifying this cutting.

My husband and I were walking by an apartment complex that had a lovely shrub (overgrown and unkempt) with dark blue flowers. I thought it was pretty so I snapped off a piece and brought it home, stuck it in a glass of water where it has developed a long root system. It has been in the glass for some months now...I am keen to plant it in the garden but have NO idea what it is!

Can someone please help?? P.S. We live in Sydney, Australia so I am not sure if it is a native.

Thank you :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting has rooted in water...no idea what it is!

Did the flowers resemble those of a coleus , that is, small but on a stem, and do the leaves have any scent when brushed? As my first thought was Plectranthus amboinicus which is a coleus-like herb

o

thats a lot of water roots.. which may or may not transfer to a pot easily .... time to pot it up ....

though seeing the vigor of it growing in plain old water.. lol.. i doubt it will give you many problems ...

ken

o

Thanks for the replies. Alisonoz, it's not the herb you mentioned although you helped me solve another mystery as I had this plant I was planning on requesting an Id of after this mystery was solved!

It doesn't have the oregano smell, when its slightly fuzzy leaves are rubbed it smells a bit lemony almost. The flowers were almost like lavender blooms and appeared on long stems with the flower at the tip, so not quite like a coleus. I may just have to walk past the same area and see if I can get a picture of the full plant!

o

There are many Plectranthus. This looks (and sounds like it smells) like one of them.

o

I think you are right, thank you!

o

Agreed, some kind of Plectranthus, I'm sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here