Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ehoyt1

Need to identify this Tree

EHoyt1
11 years ago

Anyone could help me to find the name of this tree (the green one, not the purple). I've found it on Google Earth somewhere in France.

I'm planning to plant 2 trees in my backyard and this tree is the perfect kind of tree i'm looking for.

Can anyone help me to name this plant?

Thanks so much!

Comments (21)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I would say these are Lime trees - Tilia species. (Lindens in the US.) They are frequent street trees in France (and the UK) and are often pollarded when mature. I am not aware of any Tilias which would be happy in Brazil but the people on the Trees Forum would be able to to tell you for sure. Even if there are suitable species the trees you have in the photo are very young. They will grow much, much bigger.

• RugbyHukr
    11 years ago

If you want a tree of similar mature size and habit, try Pyrus calleryana 'Bradford Pear' if available in your area.

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks flora_uk, i've searched and there is a 99% chance that this tree is a lime tree. All the species of lime trees are very similar to this one.

And thanks rugbyhukr for the tip. I really need some suggestions of trees with this size (medium) for backyards.
    If someone know more species of trees with medium to large size i'm open to suggestions.

I live in a subtropical climate place and i was thinking about getting an Acer for my backyard. Would this species survive to tropical climate?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Lindens shown are still in the small tree size range and will grow much larger than they are now, if allowed to. If there are any labeled plantings of trees available to you in your area visit those and look for what appeals. After that it will be a matter of what is on the market there, or can be gotten from other property owners in your area, maybe even via cuttings or seeds.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ehoyt, I also recommend that you visit the Tree Forum to ask this question. No one is likely to suggest Bradford Pear, known to be structurally impaired, short lived, and stinky.

You'll get the best advice if you provide some information about your climate and your specific site....amount of sun/shade, soil type, etc.

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

There are selected strains of Tilia cordata, e.g Greenspire, which has a reputed height at maturity of 15 metres. Also it allegedly makes a more uniform shape with prominent leader.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Yes, but the OP is in Brazil. Would any Tilia grow there?

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Greenspire Linden would be perfect to me, medium size (maybe it would grow much more but that is ok), voluminous branches and with a round/elliptical shaped crown. I just have to know if it will survive to Brazil's hot, tropical climate.

Thanks everybody for the tips and suggestions. I'm still analysing and looking what tree would be great in my backyard...so I'm still open for suggestions.

Thanks!

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And flora_uk, what is OP?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Commerical sources understate size potential of cultivars all the time. Non-commercial sources often rely on commercial sources for descriptions of cultivars. When a cultivar is too new to have demonstrated full development nobody knowns how big it gets. A shade tree could be 100 years old and still growing bigger every year.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

OP = Original Poster.

The link says Greenspire is hardy zones 3a through 7a, although it certainly grows in the UK, but not by any stretch of the imagination does that include the tropics. Also note the potential height and width figures ie 60ft x 50ft.

I find it hard to believe Brazil hasn't something more suitable to offer than a Linden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linden 'Greenspire'

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

I very much agree with flora_uk that another species would be more
    appropriate (and more likely to thrive) in Brazil. For example....

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:363806}}

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Definitely there is so many species of plants that would perfectly fit in a tropical climate. I like to vary a little bit, because theres a lot of the same species planted in every place you go here, like Caesalpinia leiostachya.

If i'm not asking too much, this is another tree i'm trying to find the name.

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture.

• thedecoguy
    11 years ago

Can you get us a closer picture; leaves,flowers?

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Any botanical gardens or arboreta around there?

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This tree have small leaves and flourishes in a time of the year. I'm not sure but i think it loses its leaves in the dry season (which lasts from May to October).

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture:

And I would like to thank everybody who's trying to help me.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I know next to nothing about tropical trees but the leaf is reminiscent of a Ficus.

I'd reiterate bboy's suggestion to look in local parks, gardens, arboreta or botanical gardens. Choosing trees via Google earth is not going to be very efficient.

• EHoyt1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks flora_uk. I'm going to research species of Ficus.

But just to clarify. I'm not choosing trees via Google Earth. Everytime I go to college I pass in front of this beautiful tree, and I'd wish to know It's name.
    And the first picture I've found it in a street in France, was when, for curiosity, I was looking other species of trees than the ones I frequently see in the streets here. And I've found it this beautiful Lime Tree (unfortunatelly wouldn't be happy in Brazil).

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

If you want somebody to name this last one you have to show closer views, with more detail visible.