Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Houseplant Identification Help Needed

Posted by fuzzyhead 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 7:02

Hello, this is my houseplant and his name is Gunther. I've had him for about 7 years.

Could someone tell me what kind of plant he is? I'd like to find out so I can learn what to do to get him looking a bit more perky.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Houseplant Identification Help Needed

Gunther is Dracaena marginata.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dracaena marginata

o

Dracaena marginata. It's a very common houseplant....you won't have any difficult researching its proper care. There is also a busy Houseplant Forum in the GardenWeb where you can find lots of information on potting media options, lighting, fertilization, and other maintenance issues of this plant.

o

Thank you very much for the quick replies! :)

o

how dare you ??? ..

trying to change gunther.. into something he is not ... did the same thing work with your significant other?? .... lol ...

that plant is.... what it is.. and is doing just fine..

but it will NEVER BE PERKIER ...

take the Latin name... and add 'propagation' ... to a search engine...

you can root the tips.. and start a younger.. more vigorous plant ... that will appear perkier ... but frankly.. in a few years.. it will look just about the same.. that is the nature of the beast ...

if that pot has no drain holes... learn and be careful about watering ..

ken

o

Hi & welcome to Gardenweb! Actually, it could be a lot more perky, pay no attention to those who make strangely inappropriate remarks to strangers. Many more leaves could/should be more upright at the tip, in ideal appearance/health, hence the info from Rhizo about how to find info about perking Gunther up, not an assurance that it looks as good as possible. This has nothing to do with age, but light exposure and overall health.

"If that pot has no drain holes... learn and be careful about watering" finding a pot that does would be best.

o

Thank you again for the additional information. It's all very helpful!

Gunther's pot does indeed have drain holes and there is a tray that goes underneath. I took him out of it just for the photo so he would be against a white background for clarity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here