Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please - curly-leaf oak

Posted by gorlash 9 (Fremont, CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 8:43

This shrub grows on rocky ridges in local Chaparral woodlands, such as in Sunol Regional Wilderness, CA (where these photos were taken).

I've always called it "curly-leaf oak", because the leaves look oakey to me; however, I cannot find any oak that looks like this, so I suspect I am completely off base!!

This particular sample was 5-6 feet high, but most of them seem to hug the rocks where they grow. I've never seen the plant in blossom, in several years of observing.

Does anyone recognize it?

photo of branch:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derelllicht/8213998490/

close-up of leaf cluster
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derelllicht/8212913773

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please - curly-leaf oak

o

Quercus palmeri?

o

Rhamnus ilicifolia?

o

• Posted by gorlash 9 (Fremont, CA) (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 10:21

theplantwizard: yes, I think that is right... odd that this species didn't turn up in any of my "california oak" searches...

I apologize for not posting my images in html format, I'll do so in the future; it definitely makes them more useful!

o

• Posted by gorlash 9 (Fremont, CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 10:30

(it's too bad I cannot edit an existing post!!)

Okay, now I'm not sure; some images of Rhamnus ilicifolia *also* look much like this (including the red branches on the immature portions of the plant). Also, I've seen mature R. ilicifolia elsewhere on that ridge.

Multiple descriptions of Q. palmeri, describe a clumping characteristic which I've seen with this plant, further up the ridge where it gets more constant sun and wind.

Does anyone know of a diagnostic that I might apply in the field, to distinguish between these species??

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 16:31

Looks like a buckthorn to me. You can tell oaks from buckthorns by the buds and branching.

o

As it turns out, I had prevously identified a mature shrub on the same ridge, back in 2008; someone had ID'd the plant as prunus ilicifolia, which may well be correct, for that plant *and* for my new plant as well.

This is interesting... I'm looking at Rhamnus ilicifolia and Prunus ilicifolia, and I could almost swear they are the same plant!! The Prunus spp are also native and common in chaparral... Any thoughts on the two species?

o

Cherry leaves are generally darker and more opaque than Rhamnus, and the lateral veins begin to fork farther from the edge of the leaf. But, given the variation due to sun exposure,etc. the two can be hard to distinguish, even with lots of practice.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 14:54

Buds, branching etc. will all be different between the three. Presence of fruits would certainly make it apparent which was which, right at the start.

o

• Posted by gorlash 9 (Fremont, CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 20:09

Yes, I'll plan on making a swing up the ridge this spring and try to catch fruit, both on this sample (which gets alot of shade) and the low-growing ridge-line examples as well!

o

If you have never noticed any flowers, then it is probably the Rhamnus whose flowers are close to the stems and easily obscured by the leaves. The Prunus flowers extend beyond the foliage and are very noticeable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here