Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify Tree/Shrub possibly native to Manitoba, Canada?

Posted by MissyGreenThumbs Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 10:28

I'm trying to find this tree/shrub and I'm not sure of the name of it, although my sister (who has it) thinks it may be an Aralia. She had mentioned to me that it was from Manitoba so she wasn't concerned about it's hardiness for London, Ontario. I have tried taking pieces of it to nurseries for identification, but no one can help me--I even sent pictures to a nursery in Manitoba, but they were 'stumped' too. I can't manage to root a cutting either, even with hormone powder. I can't figure out how to upload more than one picture so here is the close-up shot. The leaves are a silvery green, almost willow-like but very, very thin, and they curl slightly. They look almost like needles yet are soft to the touch like a leaf. The bark is a dark grey colour. The height of the tree/shrub would be about 7 or 8 feet. If anyone can name this tree/shrub, and let me know where I can purchase one, it would be so greatly appreciated!!

This post was edited by MissyGreenThumbs on Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 10:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify Tree/Shrub possibly native to Manitoba, Canada?

Maybe a Rhamnus.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhamnus

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 18:39

Yes: fernleaf buckthorn, a garden variant rather than a wild shrub.

o

Thanks sooooo much! This looks like it. Now I just have to find where I can buy one. Other than the one my sister has, I had never seen anything like it before.

Greatly appreciate your help!!

Cheers!

MissyGreenThumbs

o

Below is a link to one nursery in Quebec that lists it. Monrovia is a supplier of that cultivar here in the US. They may have a list of sources for you.

http://www.monrovia.com/find-a-garden-center/

type in your location ( city, Canada ) to find the closest source near you ( hopefully)

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemay nursery

This post was edited by carol23 on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 16:54

o

Thanks, you have all been so helpful. I love this site! 'Anywho', showed the picture to my sister and while she agrees it looks to be it, the web-site describes it as having white flowers and then black berries, neither of which happens with my sisters tree. Any other ideas??

o

I am convinced that is what you have . Here's a quote from ForestFarm nursery.

A little more about Rhamnus frangula Asplenifolia - Fern-leaf Buckthorn
A remarkable mostly sterile form of the alder buckthorn with long, very narrow glossy leaves which give this 15' shrub/tree an overall feeling of lacy airiness. Sun/Med

Here is a link that might be useful: Forest farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here