Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karlwkrause_gw

oblanceolate, whorled houseplant... help!

karlwkrause
10 years ago

I've rescued it from a freezing night outdoors and am hoping to get an id and urgent medical attention. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Adenium obesum I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:365233}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

urgent medical attention. Any ideas?

==>>> .. yes.. dont love it to death ...

just water it properly .. let it near dry in between ..

and dont kill it .. trying to save it ...

it is extremely stressed... it does NOT need to be fed ... never fert a stressed plant ....

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

I'd like to see a picture of the unique trunk base. It might be possible to estimate the age of this plant.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Adeniums are tropical succulents. Now that you know what it is, you can look up the care for it.

Usually adeniums drop a lot of their leaves in the early winter as you bring them in and light levels drop. Then you should reduce watering, but don't let it go bone dry. Keep it warm (indoors) and never let it freeze. Give it as much light as you can and water when dry, as Ken said.

To me it does not look stressed. This is what they do in winter when brought indoors.

If there is freeze damage, it should show up in a few days. Are the newest leaves turning brown?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

There is an Adenium forum here on Garden Web. It's quite new and you'll probably find some help over there if you ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adeniums

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

To me it does not look stressed. This is what they do in winter when brought indoors.

==>> i looked at all the cut branch ends.. and presumed .. that frost damaged ends were cut off...

if so.. half the canopy may have been removed.. and that would be one of my definitions of stress ...

if those are all old cuts... then my presumption was wrong ...

as sunlight goes in decline .. in the north hemisphere ... i do NOT fert plants that are going into slow motion ...;

after xmas.. [is that an equinox???... cant recall the term] ...... when the days start getting longer.. perhaps into late january.. that is when a weak dose of fert is given ... in my house anyway .... [though i am going to fert my xmas cactus .. because they are just coming into bloom .. ]

and i hope those bowls on food on the floor are for the dog or cat.. and not the plant.. lol ..

i also would suggest.. any moving of a plant.. from say outdoor light.. to the darkness of a house.. is stress also ...

but i will defer to rhiz.. on how it looks.. because i have never seen one of these in my life ...

too many peeps.. think plants rules are entirely specific to a given plant.. they really arent... i am sure you could find a couple billion articles on bringing plants indoors in fall .. and glean all kinds of useful info about such .... and learn way more general info .. that would be very handy ..

good luck

ken