Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange seed in the orange pod

Posted by enquiringmind 4 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 13, 10 at 11:21

When I walked my dog this morning, I saw a lot of orange pods on the bush not far from our street and each pot has 1 orange juicy seed inside. Would anyone can help id these plants, more importantly - are these seeds/berries or current poison to cats/dogs/human...etc? thanks for your help ....(The JPG I tried to upload was rejected due to its large size, would anyone know how to reduce or convert to different format with smaller size ? - thanks )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange seed in the orange pod

Photobucket.com

Then paste HTML code here in your message body.

o
Upload here

No resizing necessary!

A Moringa pkm1

o

Even without the picture, do they look like the picture in the link? Sounds like Bittersweet, Celastrus sp. Don't know what you would have where you are, but there is an invasive weedy one and a native one - both woody vines but maybe they looked bushlike because they were growing over other things. I don't think they're poisonous.

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: Bittersweet

o

Thanks for the idea of a photo link - saltcedar - I had included link to the 2 pictures I took. Hope it turns out OK ....
Thanks WW for the link to your pictures ... no - it does not look like the Bittersweet .... Hope the link I posted here works ok.... otherwise - I will try again ...
Thanks !

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 pictures posted in the Kodak Gallery

o

It looks like Physalis

Here is a link that might be useful: Physalis pod images

o

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 10:10

Physalis alkekengi, commonly known as Chinese lantern plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Physalis alkekengi, Chinese lantern plant

o

THANKS - carol23 - YES - the chinese lantern.... they looked exactly like that.... after reading some articles from your link...
I noticed "The unripe berries can be highly toxic and possibly fatal,although the ripe fruit is edible......etc "
Also - many other similar readings also indicated that the edible fruit from this "family" of plants are actually good for health.
So - I guess the last question remaining is.... have you (anyone? ) tried the "ripe fruit" from this plant ? ...
mmmmm -looking for some real yummy adventurers here ! ...:-)
THANKS for all your info on this !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here