Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelby_miller

Lilac Bush Maybe?

Kelby Miller
10 years ago

Please help me ID this plant. I'm thinking it is a lilac bush maybe.

{{gwi:365386}}

Comments (9)

• hortster
    10 years ago

Does it have twin terminal buds at the tips of the canes? If so, likely a lilac. Leaves look similar although a close-up of the foliage would help to verify.

hortster

• Kelby Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up of the foilage:

{{gwi:365387}}

• hortster
    10 years ago

Looks like it might have been through a bout of mildew. The leaf shape is close. I do believe I see the twin terminal buds typical of Syringa.
    hortster

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

has it always been mulched like that ...

or is that a new mulch volcano???

a better pic of the buds will help immensely ... or just compare yourself .... at the link .. but do let us know ....

if lilac ..... those are next springs flowers .. literally ..... if you cut them off now.. no flower next year ...

but the powdery mildew sure seems to make it lilac.. lol ...

if it is lilac.. you could use REJUVENATION PRUNING OF FLOWERING SHRUBS ... to make it a much better looking plant ... google such ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Kelby Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the replies.

I'll go out and take a picture of the buds today and get back to you.

I actually mulched it like that over the weekend, but it isn't a much volcano like you normally see on trees.It is about 3-4 inches of mulch but it is flat the whole way around it and leading up to the base. The base has a 4-6 inch opening of mulch around it so there isn't any mulch touching it.

Please let me know if the mulch was done correctly.

Also, it is in rough shape because I cut a tree down and didn't expect one of the limbs to land right on top of this bush. I am very interested in rejuvenation pruning after it blooms next year.

10 years ago

good on the mulch pulled back ...

so it is planted high on a berm ???

i had black mulch once.. it retained heat long into the night .. and a lot of plants.. missing their recovery period.. burned a bit ...

nothing is going to kill a lilac... or that plant in general ... its a shrub ... and you already tried with the limb.. lol ... i call the group.. the run it over with the truck.. group of plants .... feel free to try it.. it is a form of rejuvenation.. lol ....

just keep it in the back of your mind.. to think about uncolored mulch next time.. there is something very soothing about the grey color wood fades too .. and its the most neutral of colors regarding sun ..

good luck

ken

• Kelby Miller
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So the buds do look like the buds of a lilac bush.

{{gwi:365388}}

Thank you all for the help

• hortster
    10 years ago

Yep, and the mildew goes with it in wet periods, especially. Correct pruning method is to remove the oldest (or dead) canes as close to the ground as possible after it blooms in the spring. It should send up new sucker growth to replace the old canes that were removed.
    hortster

10 years ago

an easy way to renovate .... is to simply look at it.. when its bare ... and remove the 3 largest branches.. as close to the ground as you can get a saw in there .. anywhere between 3 to 6 inches ... i never worry about right at ground level l .... and over a 3 year period.. it will turn into a nice plant ...

mildew is a night time problem... on warm.. dank.. damp ... still nights.. the mildew thrives ...

i used to come home and water my plants.. leaves an all ... after work .. it was therapy ... and I CAUSED A LOT OF PM ...

so i stopped such ...

also.. often.. lack of air movement is problematic.. which really shouldnt be an issue out there in the lawn ... unless a sprinkler is blasting it ...

blow all the leaves out into the lawn and dispose of them.. and hope for a better year next year ...

PM is ugly.. but it never kills a plant ... its not a truck.. lol ... and it is very variable year to year ..

personally.. this plant is in its prime at spring flowering ... and i wouldnt waste the time nor money to spray it to make it look pretty the rest of the year ...

prevention is key.. if it occurs.. you are never going to make it go away.. any given year ... and such can be many different prevention from baking soda and water.. thru chems ...

if this really bugs you.. the simply solution would be to replace it with a more resistant variety ...

ken

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting