Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with IDing a tree

Posted by sweetbay 7b central NC (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 12:20

This tree grows on the side of a ditch on our property, in the 100 year flood plain. It's a young tree still and not very big.

A couple of pictures:

Pic 1

Pic 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with IDing a tree

Amelanchier?

o

No, the buds for next year's leaves are not right for Amelanchier.

Could be a cherry/plum (Prunus)?

o

Not a cherry either.

o

What about swamp tupleo?

o

Try gently scratching the twig and smelling it. Does it have a scent?

IME tupelo has bright fall color, and the twigs don't zigzag

o

I'll try the scratch and sniff test. This tree does have very bright red color (starting off beautifully multi-colored, then turning crimson), although that's not apparent in the photos.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 19:13

The problem is the pictures aren't adequate. Show the habit of the whole bush, show closer views of the buds and leaves, if there are any old berries underneath it, or even the lingering stalks that would help...

If it's something nurseries around there sell you might find it at one of those. Or in a publicly accesible collection, like an arboretum or botanic garden.

o

It is a swamp tupelo.

o

It could as well be "black Tupelo". The leaves, at least in the second image appear a little broader than swamp tupelo.

In fact it could also be a Perssimmin. Except I'm not sure that would grow in a flood plain and it often has bigger leaves, but not always. Black Tupelo is also said to prefer higher ground.

Is the flood plain actually wet a lot? Can you tell more about the habitat and the area? Also images of the trunk might be usefull.

I just posted a very similar looking tree for identification.. At least the leaves are quite similar. I hope someone can ID it, but I'm guessing "sweetbay" has got it right... maybe you (sweetbay) can identify the tree I've posted just minutes ago at the link below. (Click the thumbnails for a larger rendering)

Here is a link that might be useful: RED LEAF TREE

o

hput3, yours is Vaccinium arboreum, Sparkleberry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here