Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please Help Me Identify This Tree!

Posted by Penelopemma none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 12:50

This is my first Christmas I will be celebrating off on my own without my family. I live in a small apartment without room for a big Christmas tree so this cool alternative would be perfect for me! My only problem is I have no idea what kind of tree this is. Please help me if you can, it will be much appreciated, thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please Help Me Identify This Tree!

• Posted by susanc Z9/Sunset 17 CA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:24

Maybe a bonsai Cedrus atlantica glauca, like this one.

o

you could try in the conifer forum..

but they would insist on a close up of the needles ...

though susan is probably in the ball park ...

it most likely.. will not survive .. long term indoors ...

conifers are trees.. and trees are NOT houseplants ...

unless you have a place to plant it after the holidays... it would be money wasted???

ken

ps: and the pot is way too small ....

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 14:42

Yes: A Cedrus, the two with shorter needles like this are Atlas cedar and Cyprus cedar.

o

Maybe OT, but you can make a lovely small Christmas 'tree' w/ pine/fir branches in a big vase, bucket, or similar…..

o

An alternative to the pine boughs is a graceful branch (or branches) from a deciduous tree or shrub. If you don't have a suitable vase or container, try local resale shops. (To be fancy, spray-paint the branch gold or silver.)

Then use it year-round with whatever decorations take your fancy. Costume jewelry, origami ... or tie bows that coordinate with your upholstery colors (buy a few inexpensive spools of ribbon at a fabric or craft store).

Or to really save space: if you have a free bit of wall (or even a suitable door), make a flat tree from something you can pin ornaments to, and hang it on the wall or door. The "tree" can be a simple triangle or an abstract shape. Try a piece of foam-core (artists' supply shops); spray-paint it or wrap it in a Christmas fabric.

You can also decorate furniture and other items: my mother tied wide red ribbons around the tops of the living room lamp shades and also used them on hanging ceiling fixtures. Some of her decorations got red ribbons too.

Back to the live plant options: when I started my first job, I took my jade tree to work (it was maybe 16 or 20" tall including the pot). It lived on the corner of my desk and at Christmas I decorated it with construction-paper ornaments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here