Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brittanyfaucett

Please help!! Devil's Ivy?

BrittanyFaucett
10 years ago

Thank you for checking out my post. I just got married and my husband brought this poor, pitiful plant with him and I just don't know what to do to save it... if anything at all. The plant was given to his family at his grandmother's funeral a few months ago and therefore it has quite a bit of sentimental meaning to him. He said he 'thinks' it is Devil's Ivy but we are not sure. We would greatly appreciate any advice or comments on A) What type of plant is this? And B) what can we do to revive the poor thing? And C) it is supposed to grow up the pole, how can I help it with that. The picture I posted is what it looks like now. I just trimmed quite a bit of dead leaves from the plant as you can see laying around the pot. We keep it inside in indirect light and I have been watering it about once a week for the past month, before that it was cared for by my husband who says he watered it 'when he thought about it.' Thank you SO MUCH!!

Comments (9)

• carol23_gw
    10 years ago

Syngonium podophyllum ?

• BrittanyFaucett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think you are right on the money about that. I looked up several pictures of Syngonium podophyllum and it seem that is what ours is SUPPOSED to look like. Think our is salvageable? I would appreciate any ideas on what to do next. Should I get rid of more of the not-so-green leaves? I'm afraid to proceed with that idea because I don't think that would leave very much plant left at all.

• BrittanyFaucett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is another photo

• BrittanyFaucett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can only add one photo per post for some reason, so here is one more photo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

there is a houseplant forum.. which i believe is rather active ...

but speaking generally .. that is a heck of a lot of plant for that small pot.. so ask them about repotting ...

and rather than do that.. i usually research propagation .. and start a few cuttings.. and then get rid of the old monster... that way you still have grandmas plant..

but you have it in new.. fresh.. vigorous form ....

besides.. the rooting done first.. gives you a fail safe.. should you really mess up the repotting.. been there.. done that ... its not easy to do it poorly.. but i did accomplish that once in a while ... lol ...

good luck on the marriage..

ken

ps: many funeral pots have no drainage .... and that is usually a very big problem.. down the road ...

pps: it also looks like there might be a hundred plants in there.. you might cut the rooting part out.. by taking divisions ...

• BrittanyFaucett
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Yes, can't disagree with any of that. Looks like this poor plant got way too dry recently, but definitely not dead. Also agree, there's so many individuals in there, packed so closely together, all will be struggling. You could use a big scissors or knife to cut the root ball in to chunks, or try to separate them more if that sounds like fun to you. Then you can give some away, or just have more of them.

If you like fiddling with a plant once a week or so, the pole is a fine idea. This vine won't grow up the pole without a little occasional guidance. It has aerial roots that should cling to the pole over time, but may need to be manipulated to be in close enough proximity to the pole to get started. If you just want to water occasionally and ignore, removing that might be better. In that case it could dangle over the sides. Syngonium are common in hanging baskets for that reason.

This isn't the kind of plant that gets big and woody with age, and can discard older leaves quickly. People often trim the vine parts off of them to have just basal growth, and potted vines are generally prone to bouts of unhappiness, at which point most can be severed at the soil line and replanted, instead of trying to do a 'real' repot of removing old soil, untangling roots. They grow new roots at the drop of a hat, so don't feel bad about its' current appearance. You're right once you remove the ugly leaves for now, there will be a lot less to the plant, but that's OK.

It looks like it has a ton of new leaves curled up, ready to unroll, and is a fast growing plant generally. The newer leaves are a different color usually, turning to a plain green as they age. Looks like these new leaves are somewhat orange (some plants are pink.) That's perfectly healthy/normal, just in case you were thinking all of those leaves were compromised too.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Leaf shape resembles Syngonium, but the stems and new shoots look rather like a Philodendron of some sort to me.

Needs regular water, but don't let sit in water. Probably some weak fertilizer and good light, like eastern or western exposure.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

It is most certainly the vine, Syngonium, for sure.