Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fattboa

Vine identification

fattboa
10 years ago

Hello, any idea what these 3 plants are? I live in Kuwait and sellers have other arbitrary names for them.

The white flower one I was told is a type of jasmine. (picture 1, 2 and 3)
The red flower one is supposedly cadena de amor? (picture 4 and 5)
The broad leafed one is supposed to have yellow flowers but no other information (picture 6 and 7)
http://imgur.com/a/aaUmB

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines

Comments (13)

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

The 2nd plant is a type of Clerodendrum.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

First one does look like a jasmine. There are many varieties.
    Maybe Jasminum officinale?

Third one almost looks like a mandevilla type plant. If it blooms yellow, maybe Urechites lutea?

Reallly hard to say without flowers.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

Not J officinale.Wrong number of petals and wrong leaves. But I don't know others well enough to guess at an id.

• rosemariero
    10 years ago

A possibility for the 1st: Jasminum leratii.

• fattboa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First of all, thank you for the prompt replies.
    Getting the right genus should be enough, since I want to know how if they're suitable or not for very hot dry summers.
    I have been told the first one is a type of jasmine, they call it "country jasmine" as opposed to "indian jasmine" which has pink buds/white flowers.
    The second one seems to be Clerodendrum x speciosum, thanks for the hint.
    The third one also seems to be Urechites lutea, almost the exact same leaves but I'm a beginner at best.
    Thank you for your time

• alisonoz_gw
    10 years ago

It might be helpful if you could get another shot of plant 1-3, with something to put those flowers into scale.

I'd agree that No 2 is Clerodendrum speciosum.

3 also agree with Urechites lutea, at least by the foleage.

• fattboa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for the bad quality pictures.
    The white flower plant, possibly some jasmine, has flowers that are approximately 3-4 cm wide, which means roughly 1.5 inches
    The clerodendrum has flowers approximately 2 inches long or so
    Third one has no flowers so I am not sure.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

'Getting the right genus should be enough, since I want to know how if they're suitable or not for very hot dry summers. '

You will need to know more than just the Genus, I'm afraid. Not all Jasmine species enjoy the same conditions.

• fattboa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the correction. It seems to be Jasminum leratii as a previous poster noted.
    Thank you all very much for your time and knowledge of course.

• fattboa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the correction. It seems to be Jasminum leratii as a previous poster noted.
    Thank you all very much for your time and knowledge of course.

• saltcedar
    10 years ago

Jasminum fluminense is listed as common in UAE and Oman.

• Dr.Nature
    10 years ago

The second one is actually a hybrid called Clerodendrum x speciosum, which is a cross between Clerodednrum thomsoniae and Clerodendrum splendens. It's very weedy here in Florida. The jasmine is definitely not Jasminum fluminense. It has three leaflets and is extraordinarily invasive.

• fattboa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you saltcedar and Dr. for your contribution. Perhaps it is Jasminum leratii? It definitely has a scent, a lemony-pepperish smell, not sweet at all.
    If it grows in Florida perhaps it will grow over here as well although I am not concerned with it being invasive or weedy at all.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm