Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese leaf

Posted by amindofitsown MO (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 13:36

Hi all! I was just wondering what kind of tree this leaf came from. It's supposedly of Japanese origin, and it's supposed to sprout little "trees" after the leaf is left submerged in an inch of water and sun for 2 weeks. If anyone could help it would really be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese leaf

this sounds weird but what do I know

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 27, 13 at 14:54

Kalanchoe.

o

I would second Kalanchoe. And this sprouting thing is very unlikely for really woody species, far more likely with this tender perennial.
You ever heard of " lucky baboo"? ( which is some kind of palm)

Bye, Lin

o

Several different kalanchoes grow plantlets along the edges of their leaves, but the majority do not. I don't know which type of kalanchoe that leaf belongs to.

===

Lucky bamboo is certainly not a bamboo, but it's not a palm either; it's a dracaena, Dracaena braunii. This site has photos of several different types of dracaena:

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/houseplant/dracaena/

o

Most kalanchoes originated in Africa or Madagascar; some are native to Southeast Asia, but none to Japan.

I've read that one is native to Ecuador, but I'm not sure which one. It's the only New World kalanchoe, though several have naturalized in warmer parts of the U.S. and other parts of the Americas.

o

K. blossfeldiana makes a woody trunk but that leaf doesn't look quite right for that particular Kalanchoe. It does look/sound like some kind of Kal. In my experience playing with Kal leaves, it would be much more likely to not rot & successfully make babies if dry, not wet.

o

Looks like Kalanchoe pinnata to me. They can grow plantlets on the edge of the leaves.

Interesting to see the experiment this person did with leaves, at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kal pinnata experiment

o

Rosemarie, that's really cool, obviously I need to do more experiments. I will ask more about this on C/S. Thanks for the link & enlightenment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here